Before and after 1908 cottage

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
heartwood

Re: Before and after 1908 cottage

Post by heartwood »

oowee am i impressed! what foresight you have...a labor of love for sure...i LOVE the colors and design...kitchen looks to me like a mix of industrial and farm...you must love coming home to your abode........
....jade

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice work; I'm glad you kept your cabinets, they look fantastic & what a difference in your dining room, it doesn't even look like the same space!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Thanks for the comments! The original idea for the narrow, long island came from the GardenWeb, Kitchen forum. I am not a fan of islands in old houses so we tried to make this one look homemade and it was! We had fun laying out the kitchen, but the work was long and hard. We spent about $16,000, half of which were appliances. I wish I could have them in white, but they just were not available. The kitchen is incredibly well functioning.

Porcelain tile is on the countertop with the main sink. It has a linen texture. Love it and the sink! The island has my old desk top and back as the countertop. I sanded them down and used a combo of poly and cream paint as stain/sealer.

The beverage center countertop is stained black. Love it too. That cabinet came from Habitat Restore ($12) and we cut it down to fit the Advantium. The free standing green cupboard, hanging windows, a small 12" set of drawers and a single self-close wide drawer in the island came from Boulder Resource - about $80 for all that. The white cabinet under the hanging windows is a flea market find, expensive at $90.

The door with the small blackboard goes to a large storage area. It will be removed, the opening widened and then we are building in a vintage-styled booth there for a casual eating space. We have to install the hardwood floors in the family room first so we won't do that until next year. We had NO vacation last summer, just worked on the kitchen. So this year we are mostly relaxing - maybe - if I can. ;)
Diane

Don M

Post by Don M »

Happy Holiday & relax!!!

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Any chance you could post a closer photo of the countertops around the sink? I was sure you were going to say it was soapstone or granite with a leathered finish. I can't believe it's tile.

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

I am not a fan of granite; I would love to do soapstone, but didn't want to bust the budget for it. I will take a close up pic tonight.
Diane

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Clover, here are a couple of pictures up close. The sink is Kohler and is guaranteed not to chip, scratch or crack. I love it!
Diane
Attachments
sink up close small.jpg
sink up close small.jpg (253.86 KiB) Viewed 639 times
sink and counter small.jpg
sink and counter small.jpg (155.56 KiB) Viewed 639 times
tile up close small.jpg
tile up close small.jpg (153.75 KiB) Viewed 639 times

Foursquare
Knows the back streets

Post by Foursquare »

Dining room is exquisite! Love the picture rail as well.

Porcelin kitchen sink as well--reminds me of Grammas!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice; The counter tops look like black soapstone from a distance.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Thank you for posting the extra pics! I love the look of soapstone, and this definitely mimics it from a distance.