How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Post by CS in Low Hud »

This is a just-for-fun repost form the other site... It's top of mind because I'm doing my first fireplace chicken of this winter's season, and wanted to look back at my notes for "best practices". I originally posted this in May of 2009 :

Perhaps you (like I) enjoy touring restored colonial era kitchens. Probably the docent has pointed out the “Tin Kitchen” in front of the fireplace (usually this is about when she mentions that “the single biggest cause of death of women at this time was catching their petticoats on fire”). The Tin Kitchen is a smallish reflector oven…a metal box, featuring a spit, which can be rotated one notch at a time to allow fireplace roasting.

Anyway… I found someone who makes them for reenactment groups, and dropped enough shameless hints among family members so that I finally got one for my birthday.

But of course… there are no real recipes or instructions - this was a kitchen device that required actual hands on experience to learn how to use it properly. So here, then, is my half-assed first attempt:

The various skewers…

The chicken all prepped for the fire…

The fire prepared…

The chicken is loaded…

And placed before the fire.

I set a timer to ring every 8 minutes so that I can turn it another notch, and I inserted an oven probe so that I would know the interior temperature of the oven. Sounds fool-proof right?
No, it didn’t to me either… but I figured the temp gauge would give me a fighting chance.

Here is the probe, registering the temperature at the BACK of the oven…

And voila… an hour and a half later… dinner is burned to perfection!

But at least my petticoats didn’t catch fire.

2nd attempt: I got it right this time!

Crispy skin,… juicy meat (even the white meat)… perfect! I kept the back of the reflector oven down around 250 degrees but cooked it for roughly the same amount of time. Apparently adjusting the kitchen’s proximity to the fire, even by an inch, makes big changes in the oven temperature. You can also adjust by adding wood (which cools the temperature – at least until the new wood is fully ignited).

Of course, I was still using both oven AND meat thermometers, so it was still a bit of a cheat.

Chris

shazapple
Stalwart

Re: How to cook a chicken pre-1800 style

Post by shazapple »

Very cool! Think it will work in front of my propane fireplace? :lol:
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

CS in Low Hud

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Lol... actually, I suppose it actually might, since it's essentially using radiant heat - trapped and reflected back.

Chris

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

That is VERY cool! And what a great feeling it must be to cook like that, and be able to enjoy dinner from the fireplace.

I would love to try that in front of my fireplace, built from stones on site in 1907.

My wife, on the other hand, would shoot me.

Maybe I can try it if I can figure out a rig for the outdoor fireplace built on part of the ledge outcropping. (the modern one, built in the 1920's)
Attachments
The outdoor fireplace on the ledge
The outdoor fireplace on the ledge
fireplace.JPG (73.22 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Etta says "WOOF"

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

nice experiment!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

That MUST be tried!

pqtex
Been here a while

Post by pqtex »

Now I'm hungry!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

That's very cool. Or very warm!
Another tried & true historic cooking method is the Dutch Oven, which is a big cast iron lidded cauldron-like pot with a bail handle.It is put in the coals at the foot of the fireplace and i guess turned a few times per hour until cooked. It's perfect for preparing "Chicken in a pot" and even pot roast with veggies.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I'll vouch for the dutch oven-I have sausage and spuds in one cooking right this second.

CS in Low Hud

Post by CS in Low Hud »

I have one of those that I use too! :D

Here's the house favorite recipe for the dutch oven which we call "Chicken Dad-a-reeno" It's not exactly diet cooking, but it's great!

• 1 whole chicken cut up, and heavily browned so that a good bit of the fat in the skin renders out (discard the fat)

1 whole bulb of garlic broken into individual cloves, each smashed flat, browned (but not burnt) with the chicken

1 bottle of white wine

2 diced tomatoes

1 good double hand-full of oil-cured olives (green/black mix is great)

2 TBS (or there-abouts) capers

1 decent sized bunch rosemary (whole stem)

1 decent sized bunch of thyme (whole stem)

1 decent sized bunch of sage (whole stem)

1 TBS (or to taste) red pepper flakes

Everything into the dutch oven for about an 40 minutes to an hour. You don't need to put coals on the lid, because you need to check regularly to be sure you don't loose too much liquid. At the end, remove the herbs and discard, remove the liquid, and gradually whisk into the broth a half a cup (give or take) of cream, being careful not to scald the milk. Add the liquid back to the chicken and olives and serve (salt and pepper to taste).

Yum!

Chris