How to remove siding under the electric meter?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Vala

How to remove siding under the electric meter?

Post by Vala »

Alright well I can't seem to find any answer on this anywhere but what am I supposed to do when we get to this side (which we're planning to tackle last) to take off the siding since the aluminum siding was put on under the electric meter and phone boxes etc.

Or is this the type of thing where I have to call someone from the power/phone company to come unscrew this stuff, give me a few mins to take off the siding and then have them put it back on?

On another note, what is that really long vertical strip on the house? I've peeked under it, its a long piece of wood nailed over the clapboards with siding over it (which are intact behind it, not cut) and I can't seem to understand what the heck it is there for.
Attachments
electric box.jpg
electric box.jpg (249.96 KiB) Viewed 8137 times

Shrimpdip
Knows the area

Re: How to remove siding under the electric meter?

Post by Shrimpdip »

The long vertical piece of wood was likely where they had the mast from when the power wires came in from overhead. Looks like your electric lines are now buried.

Not sure how you get around the boxes on the house. It you have to open them up to get at the screws holding them on the house I would guess that the power company would need to get involved since it involves the meter. Around here all the power company would do is disconnect power to the boxes and put a seal back on the meter box when you were done.

Aaron
"How will we know it’s us without our past?" -John Steinbeck

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala, the telephone is no big deal. Low powerd stuff. Pull the cover, the back plate will be held on with a couple of screws. The meter is a big deal, to not touch it. It to is screwd into the wall, you will need the power company to come out break the seal remove the meter and unscrew the box, you can then pull the siding. They will reattach and place a new seal on it. You might get away with pulling the meter and quickly remove the siding under it while the electrician is there. If you want to repair or paint under the meter housing that will be another deal altogether. For a good scrape and paint you will need time. I highly dought the electrician will leave it hang on the conduit for you and come back when your done. As far as the vertical board, I bet your original electrical install many many many years ago had the power coming in under the eaves, the service then came down the wall in a conduit fastened to that strip. Then enterd the home at the same spot your buried service now enters. Our resident electricians Daniel or Tex, may be able to provide a better scenario for your meter issue.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

I had siding removed and new siding installed (on a 1967 split-foyer due to storm damage and couldn't match it), the power company removed everything and reinstalled when the work was finished.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Maybes an electrician could come out and do this for you. He could pull the meter and remove the screws and temporarily support it. Then come back later and reinstall it.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.

I was thinking to just have them take the box(es) off, let me remove the siding and put it back on, from my prying and peeking of the condition of the boards underneath in that section, it seems that the paint is in really good shape, (white paint). I'd like to have the electricity hooked back up as soon as possible since (obviously) I live here and we can't have a few days without power.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Unfortunately this is going to take more work than you'll like! Removing the siding will leave a gap between the meter and the wall, that means the PVC conduit will have to be bent in order to get the meter box flush with the original wall. I'd call a few electricians (ask around for recommendations!) and see what they have to say.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Well that isn't good news, honestly I was thinking something like that may come up... Wish they would have just put the siding around the meter... I really hate this thinking "siding is forever, we gotta make sure everything goes over the siding"... heck even if you are one of those "siding is good" people, often times it ends up re sided with vinyl or something else down the line I hate when things are made more difficult than they should be for no reason.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Unfortunately this is going to take more work than you'll like! Removing the siding will leave a gap between the meter and the wall, that means the PVC conduit will have to be bent in order to get the meter box flush with the original wall. I'd call a few electricians (ask around for recommendations!) and see what they have to say.

You could always pack the meter and conduit out to its current location with some neatly cut pieces of exterior plywood, that may save a lot of expense and if done neatly would hardly be noticable
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

mick_vt wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:Unfortunately this is going to take more work than you'll like! Removing the siding will leave a gap between the meter and the wall, that means the PVC conduit will have to be bent in order to get the meter box flush with the original wall. I'd call a few electricians (ask around for recommendations!) and see what they have to say.

You could always pack the meter and conduit out to its current location with some neatly cut pieces of exterior plywood, that may save a lot of expense and if done neatly would hardly be noticable

Yup, with some flashing on top that would be possible! You'd still have to get the pros involved since you have to yank the meter but at least you wouldn't have to mess with the conduit.