Century House Inspections

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Century House Inspections

Post by JRC »

While lead and asbestos are things to be careful around, they aren't as panic-worthy as the media would have you believe. You only need to worry about asbestos if it's friable, (breaking up/falling apart) or if you're going to do work that disturbs it.

If I recall correctly, you want to fix the badly redone kitchen? If so, you'd want to look for asbestos there. If your "house #2" has radiators, (and I don't remember seeing any in the photos you shared) you might want to look for asbestos pipe insulation in the basement.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

You guys are so great, appreciate all the tips!

There is not a basement in this lovely home so I don't have to worry about issues with water infiltration etc. It also means I won't have easy visual access the the first floor plumbing. However, the crawl space is huge. I haven't been under there, but stuck my head in - must be at around 48" high. Any inspector or repairman will appreciate that.

No radiators either. We are still unclear about the heating system. It is electric. During our tour we located a thermostat that was labeled "Upstairs Heat Strips". Have no idea what type of heat this is. The realtor was told the heating unit is in the attic and works great - but no other info. That will be on the top of the list for further discovery.

Asbestos... Also could be in the insulation (if there is any). I'll make sure someone looks out for this.

Yes jrc, the kitchen will be a total gut job. I'm guessing the current one was done in the 1960's. Will keep an eye out for asbestos etc.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Texasred, let me add one more item to the list. The house must feel right to you. All the expert opinions and inspections are of no use if the house doesn't feel right. I my opinion, it takes a feel to turn a house into a home. With out the feel, all the restoration in the world will not turn it into a home.