Can We Talk About the Speedheater paint remover?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Can We Talk About the Speedheater paint remover?

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

I am >this close< to pulling the trigger on purchasing one, but it is so much money! :shock: Does anyone have one and love it? hate it? I am looking specifically at the Cobra. It will be used mostly for doors and windows.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Mick_VT

Re: Can We Talk About the Speedheater paint remover?

Post by Mick_VT »

I have the full size one, I found it slow going outside and swapped to a paint shaver. I use it on occasion indoors, but not all that often. I works well for paint removal without scorching if you are careful. IO think the cobra looks like it would be more versatile inside, but I have not used one
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I had the regular speed heater and found that it worked too quickly on the flats of sash...by the time I was 3/4's of the way finished scraping one area, the next area would start overheating...it was anxiety provoking for me and I much prefer a heatgun (I paid about $400 10 years ago)....I have recently tried out the cobra and decided against it...for one, the price is rather prohibitive for many--$600...I just find the heatgun does the job for me, it's what i'm used to using...I hold the heatgun in my left hand and scrape with my right hand...the cobra felt a bit heavy and cumbersome to me...
so that's my feedback........stuck in my old ways....but they work!
....jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

heartwood wrote:...I much prefer a heatgun (I paid about $400 10 years ago)...

Which one?

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Manalto wrote:
Which one?

I have the $25 Wagner heat gun. It works great. I just thought the Speedheater might work better and safer.
Stacy

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

it was the speedheater that cost me $400 years ago...we use the wagner heat gun...seems like the price has remained the same or has gone down at times--about 25 bucks for the lower end one...sometimes they last a month, sometimes a year...they sell a kit with a carrying case and three nozzles...check it out: https://www.wagnerspraytech.com/?s=furno+kit
....jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I guess I misread your comment. $25 sounds like a fair price for something you'll probably have to replace at some point along the way.

What about removing paint on clapboards? At some point I'd like to remove the cement-board siding and expose the original clapboards. Needless to say, I'm worried about opening that can of worms!

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Manalto wrote:I guess I misread your comment. $25 sounds like a fair price for something you'll probably have to replace at some point along the way.

I don't think you misread my comments. I think I did not explain myself well. I currently have a Wagner heat gun, but I was thinking of upgrading to the Speedheater because I thought it might work better.
Stacy

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

BlakeHillHouse wrote:
I have the $25 Wagner heat gun. It works great. I just thought the Speedheater might work better and safer.

Safer for indoor stripping for sure. I have found there is an art and tempo to using the large one - from the (consumer) videos I have seen the Cobra doesn't seem to be so unwieldy or have a need for developing that skill. Like Jade I found that the full size speedheater was not great for sashes, even though they advertise it as a great way to soften putty. I also stick with a heat gun for those and do it in a well ventilated space
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

If you are so inclined you can buy the ceramic heat elements and make the rest.
my feelings without trying one are that if you want more heat, buy two cheapo heat guns and get the crappiest lightest ones. then you can tape two together without it being too heavy. then you can go fast. Otherwise the heat output is pretty much the same because it is limited by things like wire size and the amperage you can safely pull from a single outlet. two heat guns at once might have to run on two circuits if the breaker blows. Of course you have to make good safety decisions and it isn't for every situation but if you are waiting for more heat so you can scrape a little further, it helps with that.
I bought a metal one made by milwalkee, it doesn't' work better than the cheapo "power fist" some have fancy heat controls but for stripping I find I'm always on the full on position anyway.

id like to try welding plastic so maybe a fancy heatgun would help. the idea is , its the same as gas welding metal but you use plastic welding rods and a heat gun rather than a flame torch. I'd like to get good at that as often I need to fix broken plastic parts.

Mick have you tried the shaver on shingles? I know it was working well for you on clapboard but shingles might be more delicate and the uneven depths might make it not work so well? I was wondering if I might convert an angle grinder into to one if I can see enough use for that.