Paint stripping cast cement

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
TexasRed
Been here a good while

Re: Paint stripping cast cement

Post by TexasRed »

Took a couple of pics of the nails holding up the egg and dart. I don't see evidence of any prior holes in the cement or the siding where they were mounted differently. But I don't know for certain that they werent removed at some point in the past and original rods switched out for the nails?!?
Top nail-headboard.  Bottom nail stub-siding
Top nail-headboard. Bottom nail stub-siding
IMG_2590.JPG (126.03 KiB) Viewed 368 times

Nail head in lower part of trim
Nail head in lower part of trim
IMG_2589.JPG (75.56 KiB) Viewed 368 times

Since the holes go all the way through the trim, we are thinking of reinstalling with screws. Definitely will use the soft washer as Mick suggested. Today I noticed the nails are loose in the holes through the e&d (rather, the holes are larger than the nail) as if it was drilled through this way. Both nails / holes are at an angle to their attachment surface.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips. :wave:

We are having so much fun with all these discoveries. Every day feels like an archaeological dig. :D
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

TexasRed wrote: Today I noticed the nails are loose in the holes through the e&d (rather, the holes are larger than the nail) as if it was drilled through this way. Both nails / holes are at an angle to their attachment surface.

purposefully designed so as not to pinch / strain the brittle material by the look of it.

I might be tempted to do something to close off that gap behind the trim - even if it were just stapling tyvek there - to help stop drafts and insects etc
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Nailing cement mouldings to a wooden house is... interesting. I though we were talking brick here!

In that case I'd second the recommendation of screws with soft washers.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Mick_VT wrote: ...purposefully designed so as not to pinch / strain the brittle material by the look of it.

I might be tempted to do something to close off that gap behind the trim - even if it were just stapling tyvek there - to help stop drafts and insects etc

Thanks for explaining the "mechanics" of the nail situation. I don't know what I'd do without the knowledgeable neighbors here.

And yes, we agree that gap needs filling. Surprised to find that open void when we removed the trim. Tyvek is an quick and easy solution. :thumbup: As of the last census, Texas has at least 23 wasps to every human - don't need any more in the attic than we already have. :shock:

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Nailing cement mouldings to a wooden house is... interesting. I though we were talking brick here!

In that case I'd second the recommendation of screws with soft washers.

Oh interesting indeed. The more we dig into the house, the more stumped I am. Some days I really wish it were a brick house, then it wouldn't need scraping, stripping and repainting from head to toe.

:thumbup: Appreciate the screws and soft washer vote. It will be much more comfortable re installing this way vs nails.

Only 40 more sections of egg & dart to strip.... :popcorn: