Open flame test on different insulation types - vid

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Open flame test on different insulation types - vid

Post by Lily left the valley »

Phil and I were side winding about insulation on another thread, so I thought it best to start a new one. This video only focuses on open flame tests. It does not get into the various types of gassing that occurs during a fire and which are more toxic or not. It's a long video, but worth watching. Phil, Roxul is towards the end around the 14 minute mark. As you watch, you'll see they started off with on batch of various insulation, then kept doing more tests over time. The wrap up at the end also was obviously done before some of the add ons because of what isn't mentioned, and how they add one last comment about Roxul at the end.
https://youtu.be/8NC79e0oztM
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Re: Open flame test on different insulation types - vid

Post by Mick_VT »

This is all well and good, but doesn't simulate real world fire conditions - most insulation products have to be in confined spaces and covered with other fire resistant materials to be to code. The very first test he does (for example) is a situation that is warned against on the product itself. Once a tar paper bat is behind sheetrock, protected from open flame and starved of available oxygen it reacts very very differently

There are other test videos out there that show more realistic / real world simulations. This one, although sponsored (or commissioned) by Roxul convinced me to switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75wZehtl9A

I liked the realistic build out with sheetrock covering the test panels and the fire coming from wood cribs (as opposed to a blowtorch)
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Open flame test on different insulation types - vid

Post by Casey »

Roxul is an acceptable firestop material, I don't think fiberglas is.
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil