What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by Gothichome »

James, your model T garage doors are pretty rough, they have done their job for decades. Can you salvage to boards for other projects? I look forward to the pics of both the doors and the windows in place.
Bonnie, your fireplace looks good. Hopefully the gas fitting will have a solution to you pipe routing issue.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Ron, that's funny! I called it the Model T garage also...great minds. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the old garage doors are (or should I say were?) corrugated steel; there is very little wood to salvage, most of it short pieces. Today I sanded and primed all four panels of the replacement door (vintage 1969). It should be installed tomorrow; the garage door opener hasn't arrived yet. (I got a 1.25 hp Chamberlain opener to accommodate the heavier wooden door.) I'll take a photo after it's painted.

The casement window project will be next. I'm really looking forward to transforming that gloomy room into a "treehouse." The branches of the big live oak at the south side of the house hang over it, so the room is always in the shade.

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

I've found that the best way to ensure that your automobile fits well in your Model T garage is to simply buy a Model T. :character-oldtimer: Best of luck fixing up set of doors! :wave:
Attachments
IMG_8858.JPG
IMG_8858.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 811 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I was thinking about installing a gate for my driveway. I have a typical pipe one it’s not super heavy. Has just some wire on it. I didn’t want it to be see through. I realized a lot of my old fence boards are cedar and light as a feather. So I could probably re-use those just to fill the space, then it wouldn’t be super heavy on the hinges like it would be if it’s “real wood”

I’d rather if it could slide that might require a pipe or piece of angle iron beside the adjacent fence. My fence has a little foundation wall. I guess id need one on the ground and another tied to the fence to guide it on wheels.
A garage door opener would be even better.

It just made me think to suggest the idea for a door like that. The idea is it can be a steel frame and then the rest is basically just old dried up cedar to hide the fact it’s actually a strong secure door it’s just about cosmetics.

Phil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

T. J. Albrecht wrote:I've found that the best way to ensure that your automobile fits well in your Model T garage is to simply buy a Model T. :character-oldtimer: Best of luck fixing up set of doors! :wave:

That’s so nice. I’d like the pickup behind it too !

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

T. J. Albrecht wrote:I've found that the best way to ensure that your automobile fits well in your Model T garage is to simply buy a Model T.

Yeah, "simply." LOL

Great car, T.J. You know you have a place to park if you come to visit!

Phil, for a rolling gate, rather than a chain, could you use a rotating gear and teeth? Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

Thanks!

I believe 'rack and pinion' is the term you're looking for.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Oh, like the steering... I did know that but didn't know I knew!

Thanks!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

TJ, nice roadster pick up. How about more about the model t garage and the home that goes with it.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Yesterday I painted the coal shed and panels on the garage door (24 of them, a color called Riviera Beach) and today the trim around the door went up. Upper part of the coal shed, garage trim and cross pieces on the door need to be painted (vanilla ice cream). This is the view from the lane at the back of the property.

The third building is a little studio. I like it because it already has electricity and running water. Restoration has not yet begun on it.