What I did at my house today...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
kelt65
Stalwart

Re: What I did at my house today...

Post by kelt65 »

It might seem strange but milk paint might be the best thing. You can make it last 5-7 years, and it will never peel or bubble up. It will fade, but seems to me one could just paint right over that with very little of the prep latex paints require. Usually borax is added to it to keep it mildew free. And the paint would be very cheap, since you could easily make it your self. The time would be spent getting the recipe and color right, but you only have to do that once, right?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mkeller, that door hardware looks great well done.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

WHY do people paint solid brass hardware!?

I think it's all too often because someone is sloppy and drips paint all over the brass and then the next guy thinks it's neater and easier just to paint everything. That's definitely what happened with one of our windows!

Others are just dumb/drunk/... our painter (very good reputation otherwise) painted a solid oak door threshold bright white last week! He's going to have fun stripping it at his own cost!

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Today, the tree service took down the huge pine tree in the front yard!

I've never seen the house from this angle before!

mkiehn20
Knows the back streets

Post by mkiehn20 »

JRC, your house is gorgeous! :o

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JR, I think your home will be thanking you. It is no longer hi ding in the shadows. You'll have to start thinking about at least two more colours for the exterior now that every one can see the front.

JRC

Post by JRC »

mkiehn20 wrote:JRC, your house is gorgeous! :o

Thank you!

Gothichome wrote:JR, I think your home will be thanking you. It is no longer hi ding in the shadows. You'll have to start thinking about at least two more colours for the exterior now that every one can see the front.

Yes, I have some painting planned for this summer. But, for now, I'll just be painting the porch and some trim the off-white color you see around the front door and railings.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

That off-white is already working miracles! It's incredible how it breaks up that sea of yellow!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love the yellow color!

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Nice, JRC!! Very....

Today I re-adjusted a few pieces of siding I had installed in repair in response to a request from my Upper Management to make them more straight :) They now meet approval.

Then I began the arduous process of cutting out the siding on the gable end of the house over my "ell" in sections, because when they put the steel roof on, they did NOT go under the original claps...so now I have to bring the claps over the roof's upturn. They put the roof on knowing asbestos siding would be installed, and took the easy way out.

Like many have done, just a place where I can return the home to a nicer place that at one time someone pulled it away from!
Last edited by GibsonGM on Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.