1920's-ish indoor trim colours?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: 1920's-ish indoor trim colours?

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I love green but only very specific shades, most of which I'd never use in a house - specifically bright glowing neon green :D
I do love the traditional Austrian forest green for windows and painted one wall in the hallway a similar green to highlight the gilded mirror but despise most other shades of green, particularly pastels.

But my main point was that it's only paint, if you don't like it (or a future owner doesn't like it) it is redone quickly and cheaply. There's absolutely no way I'd ever use the original trim colour in my house, not in my worst nightmares! As far as I can tell it's a fairly light grey but still grey enough to be depressing. Definitely cream or "antique white" for me! In one room my dad went trigger-happy and painted doors and window a deep red (close to English red) and when it was time to redo that I kept the colour because I happened to like it a lot, especially contrasted by light yellow walls. In my parents' bathroom we had white walls with dark blue gloss trim and a matching blue tub. Oh and a blue and green mosaic tile floor! We did that in 2002 and I still love it every time I get there!

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

That bathroom sounds gorgeous! I wish you had a photo!
I really love mosaic floors. One of these years I would love to do that in one of the bathrooms here... but, I think I have about 20 other projects that need to be handled first!

Yeah, same here.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

My trim, from 1914, is painted bald cypress. Someone stripped it sometime along the way, (maybe Phil owned this house at some point :o ) but they really f*ed up the walls taking the baseboards off to strip, and then used gobs of caulk in place of where the broke the plaster to hell. For all the shit work done to my house, you'd think they would have at least protected the house from termites. When I finally get to painting them I'll be using a very flat white, a hint of antiquing wax (just a touch to accent the relief, most people overdo this), then semi gloss poly. I did a sample and it looks great. But I find a plain white + antiquing wax looks far, far better than an off white.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Next time I'm painting something I'll try true linseed oil paint. It does take longer to dry (manufacturer says 2 days between coats) but it's truly zero-VOC and non-toxic and it should be very nice to work with. Not to mention period appropriate, linseed oil paint was first choice for wood around here until the early 1960s. I bought a can of "antique white" today, not sure when I'll get around to using it. I recently did some painting with regular oil paint and even after 4 weeks it stinks so much we don't want to use the room!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Next time I'm painting something I'll try true linseed oil paint. It does take longer to dry (manufacturer says 2 days between coats) but it's truly zero-VOC and non-toxic and it should be very nice to work with. Not to mention period appropriate, linseed oil paint was first choice for wood around here until the early 1960s. I bought a can of "antique white" today, not sure when I'll get around to using it. I recently did some painting with regular oil paint and even after 4 weeks it stinks so much we don't want to use the room!

Where did you get linseed oil paint from?

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Next time I'm painting something I'll try true linseed oil paint. It does take longer to dry (manufacturer says 2 days between coats) but it's truly zero-VOC and non-toxic and it should be very nice to work with. Not to mention period appropriate, linseed oil paint was first choice for wood around here until the early 1960s. I bought a can of "antique white" today, not sure when I'll get around to using it. I recently did some painting with regular oil paint and even after 4 weeks it stinks so much we don't want to use the room!

Why not just use milk paint?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Vala wrote:Where did you get linseed oil paint from?

You used to be able to buy it from the people who do the "silent paint stripper" - I have heard some tales of linseed oil paint going funky and mildewed though so do some research first
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Mick_VT wrote:
Vala wrote:Where did you get linseed oil paint from?

You used to be able to buy it from the people who do the "silent paint stripper" - I have heard some tales of linseed oil paint going funky and mildewed though so do some research first

If its name starts with an A, I've heard of them. Was hoping something else came along actually made here instead of imported, so it would be affordable.

I think the mildew was if you didn't add your own zinc or lead or something.

Texas_Ranger

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I bought it locally, manufactured by a German company called Leinoelpro (remember, I live in Austria, more or less the geographical centre of Europe). We're a bit of Germany's little brother so it can be a pain to source stuff locally but I recently found a store that stocks various linseed oil products. I remember the mildew issues but we're in a relatively dry climate so I doubt that'll be an issue. I plan to first use it for interior doors anyway.

I'd happily use milk paint on walls but on trim and especially outdoors I'd like something slightly shinier. Linseed oil paint has a very interesting satin sheen to it, unlike anything else I've seen. I do suspect that the interior walls in this place originally had milk paint (in all sorts of crazy colours). Originally I thought it was distemper (Kalsomine) but it sticks to the plaster far too well. It can be washed off the walls with some patience though and that's why I wouldn't use it outside.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wish there was a US company that sold linseed oil paint, lucky there's US made Linseed oil glazing putty. That imported stuff is really marked up too much.