A Sad Day. Just Demolished Yesterday.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

A Sad Day. Just Demolished Yesterday.

Post by Corsetière »

http://mostendangeredcbus.org/10-second-empire-house/

So this was just demolished around the corner from me. Seems to be a case of extended neglect becoming an unsafe structure. Neighbors have been reporting the property for serious code violations over a decade. Ironically no precautions were taken to contain lead paint or any other hazardous materials during the demolition, and the development company did NOT honor their promise to salvage any architectural components of value. Wtf...

Vala

Re: A Sad Day. Just Demolished Yesterday.

Post by Vala »

UGH.. how depressing. Im so sick of this stuff happening.

Google street view you can see the house and go back and see it before the disrepair

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.968114, ... 312!8i6656

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

dereliction by neglect, should be a crime...it does not reflect well on our society especially in light of the fact that there are so many people in need of homes....

I was not especially happy that an 1870 building in the center of town near me was planned for demolition...it was in tough shape...I think the only thing that was saved were the windows--for me!!! now their bank loan fell through so it may become an open space for a while...sad...I do have a lot of glass to clean though...

...jade

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

We lost one this week in our town too. I was going into the grocery store and heard an excavator, when I turned it was crunching the roof of the ell on an 1860's house. When out on my run, I made a point of going down that street and it was all flattened and put in a pile. The state took one down last year now this one, it's a bit of a depressed area, but going through a revival right now. Hopefully, we won't lose too many more in the mean time. The PJ Noyes building on Main St made the Seven to Save list through the states Preservation Alliance group.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

heartwood wrote:dereliction by neglect, should be a crime......jade

Here in Ottawa Ont Canada we have the National Capital Commission. (NCC) They have jurisdiction over the 'Greenbelt" area around the city. Farms and houses were expropriated years ago to create this buffer zone. The many beautiful barns and homes that are not still rented (and they are very difficult to deal with if you want to rent) are left to decay, until it is deemed far too costly to restore or renovate ($ millions ??) Once at that stage the NCC has carte blanche to demolish. Hence the term "it was NCC'd"

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

How sad. Where we lived in Ohio my kids had never seen an abandoned house. The Plain community will buy them, fix them, and live in them. We moved to East Tennessee in 2012 and the crumbling houses here are innumerable. The property taxes are so low that people can "afford" to just let them rot into the ground. There's one antebellum house just down the street, part of the long defunct Holston College, that's rotting with an absentee owner using it as a tax write-off. Historic preservation hasn't really hit yet in rural TN.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sow's Ear Mal wrote:
heartwood wrote:dereliction by neglect, should be a crime......jade

Here in Ottawa Ont Canada we have the National Capital Commission. (NCC) They have jurisdiction over the 'Greenbelt" area around the city. Farms and houses were expropriated years ago to create this buffer zone. The many beautiful barns and homes that are not still rented (and they are very difficult to deal with if you want to rent) are left to decay, until it is deemed far too costly to restore or renovate ($ millions ??) Once at that stage the NCC has carte blanche to demolish. Hence the term "it was NCC'd"

Mal, we decrie demolition by neglect by private citizens, it seems a worce crime when practiced by governments.

Vala

Post by Vala »

TuckerTavern wrote:How sad. Where we lived in Ohio my kids had never seen an abandoned house. The Plain community will buy them, fix them, and live in them. We moved to East Tennessee in 2012 and the crumbling houses here are innumerable. The property taxes are so low that people can "afford" to just let them rot into the ground. There's one antebellum house just down the street, part of the long defunct Holston College, that's rotting with an absentee owner using it as a tax write-off. Historic preservation hasn't really hit yet in rural TN.

Sadly the same with rural southern IL... :\

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That sucks. Even if it was too far gone to save (looks like there might have been some foundation issues among other things), the original architectural elements could and should have been salvaged.

Isn't it amazing how the private citizen gets harassed over things like lead paint and asbestos, but a lot of developers seem to get a free pass?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yep! I asked my friend in lead abatement if contractors were required to use lead safe practices in a complete demolition. They are not, but they are required to "control the dust". Does this look controlled to you?