Found in the house...

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Deb
Knows the back streets

Found in the house...

Post by Deb »

Found these in the root cellar of the house. Not sure what the first item is, or the age of any of them. Any help, from those far more knowledgeable then me, would really be appreciated!

I feel like living in this house is a non-stop adventure. Always a new find, something to discover, something to wonder about!

We visited the Historical Society yesterday. What a reception we got!! When we said we just bought the Thompson house, people literally jumped up and started pulling us in different directions to show us things that came from the house. Word had already gotten around town that we were people who would honor the history of the house. Two "old timers" told us their memories of the house. One used to mow the lawn and sickle the hill in the 30's, and the other one crawled into the space where slaves were hidden and found a hand carved flute from the 1850's. (It is now on display at the Historical Society) He said they only dug in front of the entrance before getting chased out by his friends parents and suggested we go in and explore some more.

Like I said before...this house is literally a dream come true for me!
Attachments
0807161434.jpg
0807161434.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 1000 times
0807161434a.jpg
0807161434a.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1000 times
0807161432a.jpg
0807161432a.jpg (903.52 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

Deb
Knows the back streets

Re: Found in the house...

Post by Deb »

Also found in the house, these hand carved crutches. Both the builder of the house, and his son, were doctors, so they may be original to the house.

(Can someone tell me why some of the pics come out sideways and how I can correct it? They aren't sideways on my computer!)
Attachments
0807161608.jpg
0807161608.jpg (469.64 KiB) Viewed 997 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Great finds!

The photo issue is usually a bug with iOS (I assume you are using an iPhone). It sometimes does not register the orientation correctly into the photo information. The site processes that info on upload to rotate photos appropriately. The only way I know to fix it is to modify the photograph on your computer before you upload it (e.g. resize, or rotate all the way round then save). Unfortunately the forum software does not allow the processing that causes this rotation to be turned off.
Mick...

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Thanks Mick! I'll try the rotating on my computer next time!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Deb, what nifty finds, the fancy pan like thing, looks to be cast iron, what it's for tho, I have no idea. Wild guess, a boot scraper? I use an IPad, I too have had pics turn sideways. Only once though. Nice eastlake chair, that was found in the root cellar?

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Yes, the chair was in the root cellar! There are so many nooks and crannies to explore in this house, it's like a never ending treasure hunt!

That "thing" is cast iron, heavy as all get out! I have no clue what it is, but it sure is interesting.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The ornate cast iron item goes inside of a hall tree/umbrella stand, which was a piece of furniture that enjoyed its peak of popularity in the 1900-1910 timeframe. It would collect drips from the umbrellas so the water wouldn't travel down to the floor. With the Art Nouveau styling of this one, I'd say it falls in that date range.

The chair is probably mid/late 1880s. It looks like a typical late Victorian era side chair. The upholstery is more like 1960s! :lol:

Nice finds!

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Such cool finds!
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

1918, thank you!! It's been driving me crazy, trying to figure it out!

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

Stacy - I am crazy in love with this house!! Always something new to discover.