Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

eclecticcottage wrote:BTW, I read your new CT and it took a second to dawn on me it meant owners of new builds vs people that just bought a "new to them house" given all you're going through to get yours :P

Ok, I have now been pondering what CT means in this context for a while--even dragged spouse into it because I was feeling silly out loud about not knowing. We even started trying to see what it might mean in text speak and such via searches. Got some good laughs in during the process. Chair Thread, Cottage Thread, Current Thread, Contract Terms, Can't Talk, Connecticut, Conspiracy Theory, City Thread (as in the citydata site), Conventional Turn, and more. :doh:

But we're still not sure what you're referring to? Please enlighten us because I'm missing context even though my tired brain is desperately trying to make the connection. He's only got your one line to work with, so he's just throwing out random CT phrases now. We had way too much fun trying to figure out where I was posting a new Conspiracy Theory about home owners though. :lol:

I know whatever it is will seem so obvious when you say it, but I'm just staring out over a wide blue sea, waiting for the boat that will get me where I need to be.

Alright, I just tried some more out loud to figure it, and I got nothing.

It's going to be so obvious when you tell me, isn't it? :oops:

The wide net that ultimately touches folks involved with house hunting is interesting indeed.

Yes, one less season hoping the R-value of the two quilts in the attic will hold the heat down. ;-) Spouse did say that we still will definitely get it done before summer hits. I certainly don't want to be installing Roxsul in the attic in August! Just getting it up there is going to be some hilarious pictures, I'm sure. Someone suggested at some point that maybe we should just carve a space out to build proper stairs going up because we don't really fancy the drop down attic style, and I don't even know if we take the end windows/vents out if we'll be able to fit a full bat through them, though I'm pretty sure we could. No way we can squeeze it through the attic portal in the linen closet. :hand: Aaannndd I just realized that if we tried to hire out for this, I don't know if any company might have enough workers that can fit through the portal being so narrow anyhoo!

Oh dear....our insulation project is going to be lesson in Yak Shaving, isn't it? Thank heavens we have the stinger vaccuum shop vac. At least that's small enough to fit through the portal.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Oh..and I forgot to say every last bit we were asked to send has been sent. Home Owner's Insurance is all set. We managed to make the first payment of the auto portion on the CC, so that helped buffer the "ACK" of what we didn't know not to do.

From what I got from the Lender's law team...we may be good to go on Friday.

We did a drive by at the house tonight, and wound up outright pulling over as we were shocked to see a car in the drive and all the lights on. After the garage incident, I felt a twinge of terror. Are they stripping down stuff I will need to make a fuss about? Or maybe they're just...cleaning for us?

It was the best I could come up with. There really isn't anything left in the house that isn't...part of the house aside from fixtures and hardware and such. So I was realllyyyy reaching. Then I thought..OH! Maybe they didn't take the radiator out of the garage, and they are reinstalling it in the kitchen for us? Then I immediately plunged to, "OH CRUD--I hope who ever might do such a thing has a clue and tested the rad for leaks first. I am going to be pissed if we come back for final Walk Through on Thursday and find water everywhere."

I really dislike how wildly manic my brain has gotten in regards to the house. I don't know if it's the roller coaster, the lack of sleep, or the fact that we are so close to "ours!" time that I'm already gazing upon the house as Gollum did his own precious.

We almost got out of the car to see who was there, but then we thought that'd be a bit intrusive and rude. So we continued on home.

I'm an optimistic pessimist. I hope for the best, but brace for the worst.

Woo, nelly do I hope nothing is missing at walk through. *sighs*

[edit: fixed a typo.]
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

CT=custom title. It's a forum thing. The stuff below your name.

Lily left the valley

eclecticcottage wrote:CT=custom title. It's a forum thing. The stuff below your name.

:doh: None of our searches on forum abbreviations turned that up, interestingly enough.

THANK YOU. My curious mind can now let the section that's been pondering that rest now. :D

Lily left the valley

We are meeting with our realtor and the seller's agent as well at 9am. Seller's agent is leaving for vacation Thursday, so apparently he is giving the keys to our agent at the meeting so he can officially hand them over to us at closing. Since seller's agent owns an agency with several realtors, I was surprised because it seems like they don't plan to be at closing? I've already met one of their other agents, because of the first showing I had at the bungalow, so I don't know if they'd send another or what. I didn't think to ask while on the phone with our realtor.

I have not been given a firm yes for Friday as closing still. Everyone keeps seeming to think so, though. :confusion-shrug:

I'm hoping when we go there later today that everything I expect to see in the house is there. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

One thing I meant to mention before, but I'm pretty sure I forgot was that the reconstruction portion of our insurance is higher because of the lathe and plaster because it's a lot more work if it has to be deconstructed/hauled off than drywall. The funny thing, though, was when she got to the part about the lead when she asked if we indeed did have drywall or still plaster for certain. When I told her I was thinking down the road to get rid of the current plaster as a lead abatement issue, she immediately jumped in with, "Oh, yes, then when you do let me know because the drywall will lower your policy cost". I then laughed and said, "Oh, no! I'd put plaster up again for so many reasons, not the least of which is because it's so much better than drywall with few exceptions for the long term." You could see her half trying to step back because I think she thought she offended me, but also the lightbulb starting to glow over her head as I explained that it would a restoration minded removal of lead if the plaster tested positive for lead, and then started rambling on down the list of why I think lathe & plaster is better than drywall.

The lightbulb over her head made me hopeful.

I did end my ramble with "We expected some bumps in the price due to the age of the home," and then her hesitancy vanished completely and she smiled.

I might not have made her into a convert, but I may have opened the box of possibilities as to why embracing construction methods of old homes can be a good idea.

One really cool thing that came out of that visit was I noticed the Christmas Cactus she had in her office, and made a mention to spouse that it's one of the house plants I want to get after the move. She then piped up and told me this wonderful story about how the ones in the office were grown from her grandmother's, and how they were the pink kind. (I'm honestly not a fan of pink.) She then went on to say that after we settled in, I should come back and take a bit of the ones they have in the front office, a coral flower variant, and how a lot of folks had already done so since they thrive in the huge south facing window of their office, so there's always a bit to spare. So apparently Gardner does have some gardeners who share, which is great news.

I asked her if there was a seed library in Gardner, and she sadly said no. Before I realized it, the words, "We should start one" left my lips. I noticed she didn't say no even if she didn't say yes. :think: One thing I've been doing research on is how to start and run a tool library, and I had thought if we could start one in town, it would make sense to also do a seed library in companion to that. So maybe when things settle down, I might actually try to take that on in earnest since Gardner has neither.

Woo! Free coral Christmas Cactus!

I have no idea what we should take with us for the walk through other than a check list I hurriedly put together. I'm trying to not feel nerve wracked about what might be missing from the house. :popcorn:

Just realizing I should have asked for recommendations sooner about what to put on the check list! :doh:

Lily left the valley

The walk through was mostly uneventful.

What was a bit disarming was the still inflated airbed (no linens on it) in the living room, along with an older swivel stool we did not recall seeing before, even in the garage. The seller's realtor made noise about how they had "camped out" in their grandmother's house for the night, as a good bye sort of thing. It wasn't that we took issue with them staying there, it was the fact that the realtors were meeting so the key could be handed over. Why would they leave the items in there (especially the air mattress) if they no longer had a key to the door? :problem:

The also still had one of their cars in the driveway, as apparently it is one of the sisters next door, but her rental house's property has no driveway. It was the same blue car we'd seen there many times before. One of the sisters, according to an obit for the mother we'd found, is in a town nearby, so we assumed that was the one.

When we checked the garage, what was there earlier in the week was still there. Their realtor didn't seem to know if they intended to take anything further out of the garage, but didn't seem to think they would.

The only two things that stood out, and both in the "did I just not notice this before" way was that:
1) I thought there was a solid kickplate under the sink's cabinet before. However, I noticed today straightaway that there is not, and you could see the mess from things not being swept out over the years. I could see some wood further back when I got on my knees and looked under, but I also saw the edge of some tile. I tapped it, and I think it might be the type that has the asbestos in it. I doubt they pulled that up before putting down the cheap fake wood vinyl strips, so we'll see on that further later. I couldn't tell (the one thing I forgot to bring was a torch), but it seems to be a shade or two deeper than the countertop's deep red.

2) When I went upstairs, all the doors were closed. Then something jumped out of me that may have always been there, but it was the first time the bedroom doors were closed, and when you look at the front face picture of the door, you'll understand why it jumped out at me.

Aside from the brand new screw holding it on, it obviously wasn't the original because the finish doesn't match the edge. It's also missing the face plate on the side edge of the door, as seen here:

Now this isn't the end of the world. In fact, since the plate matches the one down in the doorway between parlor and library, I'm happy to not have to hunt for a match for the one side that is missing.

When we were checking the deadbolts for the brand name (CALLAN2), we noticed the set pin/screw for the inside part of the front door doorknob is still missing. Hopefully that will be easy to replace.

We still a bit uneasy because of the two items they left behind. They definitely did not clean! They also did not replace the missing rad, so I guess something did happen to the one spouse saw in the garage, and they took it for scrap or whatever. The propane tank on the front porch, though, is still there. Hopefully we can at least get something for the return of it. I don't know if they do deposits for such up here.

Spouse is fairly convinced most of what they took is in the house next door, given all the footprints in the snow going from the garage to there.

Speaking of snow...6-8" due tomorrow, and although they're saying no snow on Friday itself, more Friday night-Sunday. They did leave an old cheap plastic snow shovel in the basement, but it's the kind that looks like it will shatter if it comes into contact with ice. :lol:

I hope our closing is set for an early time on Friday so we'll have a chance of getting the locksmith in later that day. Spouse just got a phone call a bit ago from the bank asking him to sign some things. One of them? A form we have sent no less than three times already. The only reason I can think they're sending it again is the date is too old now or something. The other is a form we've never seen before, acknowledging that he's received all copies of all appraisal related information. We only received one appraisal that we know of, so we guess it's ok to sign?

[Edit: He called her back to let her know he sent it, and she mentioned she was trying to wrap things up to process the loan for Friday. So it looks like we will be closing on Friday. We still have not received the final closing costs info, and we were supposed to get that no later than three days' prior. :roll: ]

So close! :popcorn:

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

We are hoping that the closing goes well and on Friday! Then we are hoping for more pictures!
:lolno:
Diane

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

I was going to quote but it's easier to just reply...

Most agents aren't at closing as far as I know. The sellers agent on the Bungalow didn't even know we closed! Luckily we got the lockbox code from our agent to retrieve the keys so we could put on new locks. I am pretty sure the bank did as well so the former owners wouldn't have had keys, but still.

Even though the agent is handing over their set of keys, the owners might still have their own keys. Hence the rekey asap.

I didn't sleep at my grandparents house but I did visit the am of the closing, which was also the AM of his funeral service (ironically he swore he would never sell the house, he did start the process but passed a couple days before the closing) so maybe that's all it was.

I've never heard of a seed library, but I have been to a plant swap. You might want to poke around for one-I found the one I've gone to on Garden Web (now sold to Houzz). I've also had luck with CL for common plants like daisies. I've gotten some Hosta that way too but you have to be QUICK since they are so popular. The last year seems like more people sell them by the clump (cheap, but still not free). I've also gotten a few things (like Walking Onions) via freecycle. I always wanted a cottage garden but budgets being what they are freebies were the only way it was going to happen. I also found a couple garden clubs do yearly sales-one sells big lots of the plants pretty cheap at the end too.

I saw what you meant about that plate right away, but it is pretty. Kind of a little art deco almost.

Good luck!

I got the final yes on the Bungalow closing just a couple days prior too. I think the same for the Cottage.

Lily left the valley

Update on things: The BEST NEWS OF ALL TIME: the credit company finally got the court to admit the debt is satisfied. They've been hounding them for days, and we are so glad to have that gone from our lives. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

The unexpected turn was we got a call from our realtor, who had talked to the lawyer's office and been told they'd not yet been given the all clear to close. This was around 3pm I think. So we waited until after we finished our late lunch and called mortgage guy again. He said that everything we had to do is done. Now it's getting sent to the housing office that handles the program we're in for First Time Buyer's and one other related office, both government based. Mortgage guy seemed concerned that with the weather reported for today (now they're forecasting 13-19", with an inch per hour and 25mph gusts), he's not confident that they will get it done in time for a Friday closing. I, of course, later made jokes about how this was New England, and wouldn't they just laugh at only a foot or so of snow? Spouse just shook his head and rolled his eyes at me.

He'll be working out of another PO northeast of here today, but the Post Master there is big on the "Don't be a hero if the truck starts sliding. Just bring the mail back" mindset, so I've no idea when spouse might get home because maybe it won't be so bad though now it seems like they're making it out to be a Snowpacalypse. I told him if worse comes to worse, stop at a budget hotel or even a church if the roads are really bad, but he says it's mostly highway home, so he doesn't foresee an issue, and it's not like he's going to one of the really far away POs. I can't help but worry because of living in snow belts for many years, so I can remember some storms where even a half hour drive is treacherous and never takes only a half hour. So I'm just hoping for the best but expecting exactly what they're now predicting. I think he really wants to be home no matter what since his birthday is Friday, even if we really won't close then.

Spouse currently has some days next week that aren't officially scheduled yet, so he's going to try to keep them open until we get the firm day/time. I'm worried that they'll keep pushing off, but our realtor thinks if not Friday, possibly Monday. At least that way spouse won't lose much work for his other "floater" days. Since it looks like we'll be paying at least partial rent for March plus our first mortgage, things will be tight enough in March without him losing too much pay. I did recall that our insurance lady had said something about Wednesday if not Friday. So who knows anymore? :crazy:

I was totally under the weather yesterday, so today's going to be catch up plus shoveling because I'm fairly certain landlady is still on vacation, which means none of the snow will get cleared except the shared driveway. When you're married to a mail carrier, you tend to want to make sure the walk to the box(es) is clear. Thank goodness the next door live in owner runs a plow himself. He always does as much as he can of both sides so we're not dragging the snow/ice/etc. onto their side.

On one hand, if it's not Friday, I'm glad because spouse can relax on his birthday. On the other hand...it's another delay. We originally were thinking of moving over the "not immediately necessary" stuff first, then the clothes, bed, desks, etc. Now we're thinking that as soon as the internet is hooked up over there, we'll move the necessaries sooner rather than later. Part of this is because the house sat for so long. We want everyone to see us living there so any ner-do wells won't get funny ideas about trying to break in and see what they can score. They'd be sadly disappointed anyhoo. Aside from my tools, our computers and some things that are only worth something if you know where to sell it sorts of things, our stuff is just stuff. :D

Diane, I promise there will be many, many, many pictures over time. :D I'm actually itching now to start removing the upholstery on the chair I got recently to see if they really did just cover over, or only a few spots still have an older fabric. There are a lot of other things I should focus on, but I'm just so curious now.

EC, We knew our realtor would be there from the beginning, and I think because of that I'd just assumed that their side would show as well. Mortgage guy will be there too, and it will be our first time meeting him in person.

One thing I forgot to mention is they did put in new smoke detectors. I found it a bit hilarious, actually, because both of the realtors were extolling the virtues of this particular type. I'd never heard anyone have that sort of enthusiasm over smoke detectors, and I have firemen in my family. :lol:

I love the hardware, don't get me wrong on that! It's actually used on most of the doors. As with the sconces in the bathrooms, there are the few art deco leaning bits in the home, which makes sense for the build year.

Yes, we are trying to have the rekey done ASAP. I've been talking to a locksmith, but it's frustrating not knowing when we're closing because you can't really book someone in a "Hey, we finally closed. You got time today?" sort of way. He's been very understanding about it, though. He apparently does lots of closing lock changes. Oh! That reminds me, we still hadn't seen a skeleton key anywhere in the house. I'm going to take the one from our apartment to see if it works after we close, and if it does, I'm hoping I can find someone who can copy it before we move out of here. I didn't even think to ask the smith, so I'm not sure if he also can help with that sort of lock as well.

What cracked me up, actually, regarding the locks, is we realized whenever they bought the current ones, they didn't even try to match the hardware. They're all shiny brass instead of the brushed. I knew we'd eventually order something nice, and after realizing that yesterday, it's definitely happening. The front door looks downright silly. The side and basement doors are newer, and the handle as well as the deadbolt at least match on those.

Seed libraries as I know them tend to have whatever on hand, always welcome something new, and when you get some, the idea is you'll seed some of whatever you're taking and bring them back and the end of season so they can keep their stock at a somewhat even level. Some of them only handle heirloom varieties, and they get pretty fussy because they don't want anything that's been altered like the Burpee type seeds. I've done plant swaps in the past too. I was actually surprised in that I have not been able to find a local garden club. There's one quite a bit to the west I stumbled upon so far, but not one in Gardner proper.

I haven't joined the Freecycle here yet because I've just been so busy. It is on the ToDo list, though. CL so far, I've seen next to no plants. The Google Street View showed Hostas back when at the bungalow, but the listing photos, things were changed and I think they've all been pulled out. They even moved the Japanese maple (too close to the front walk), and I think the transplant didn't take because it looks deader than dead to me. I'm hoping it's not, but we won't know until spring.

Spouse may have restricted me on working on the inside stuff that isn't immediate need based, but he did know I'd want to at least get the front lawn area spruced up this year and has said he won't fuss about that or he knows I'll go bananas not doing near anything. Nothing drastic, just looking nice again. We'll also be moving the hollies in the fall. Whomever planted them didn't do so thinking of their mature growth spread, and they're already too close to the porch and stairs. (They look fairly newly planted in the Street View--so I'm hoping they're as young as I think, less roots to content with in transplanting.)

Truth is, when we started moving a lot, most of my houseplants bit the dust due to the distance and being in a big hot truck. So a few moves ago, I just gave away what I had left. I have a stash of tubers and seeds I kept as well as I could since leaving Jersey, but I won't know until I try to plant them how they've fared. Most of what I put out front this year came from the Farmer's Market. I actually cursed myself for not remembering to pull the perennials before the deep frost hit. Not sure if I'll be able to get even my daylilies out when we move if the ground is still frozen/snow covered. I think the pineapple lily died outright. I was hoping it might winter ok, but the last time I could see the ground there, it seemed long past hope. So if I get one again this summer from those folks, I won't plant it outdoors.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Congratulations Lily !! :dance: You have sure had more than your share of rows to hoe with this purchase.

So excited for you two who are about to embark on the wonderful life of old house stewardship. Despite all the projects, repairs and ongoing maintenance - there is no better place to call home than an old house
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905