Hello

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
dixie girl
Settling in

Hello

Post by dixie girl »

I just found this site online and I am not a good computer or cell phone user so I will have to figure out how to get my pictures on here. I love old houses. I found one that was being sold as a tear down so I talked my friend into buying it since I have no money since my divorce. I sort of had some sort of relationship with the house. because I was abandoned for someone 30 years younger and felt I was being torn down. I am not sure if I can save it but sure going to try. The realtor would not even go inside the house to look at it with us. It is in sunny Florida and it is held up by piers with have sunk on one side, I hope due to our sandy soil. This house was amazing and I believe it may have been either a kit house or fashioned after one. It is down around 5-6 inches in its lowest spot. There is a fireplace on this side and the hearth is down about 3-4 inches. It is interesting that the wall and floor above it are level. The daughter of the lady who owned it felt the fireplace was pulling the house down but I am not convinced of that. The house seemed to have bad memories for her and she didn't want to share much. There was a cast iron sewer pipe that had corroded through on the side where it was the lowest and I wonder if the leaking could have washed out the sand and caused the problem. It is a 2000+ 2 story house with a small kitchen, a living room and 2 bedrooms on each floor. A wealthy banker and his wife lived in town and when the bank failed during the depression they lost their home and he shot himself and left his wife with enough to build this house. She had a sister who shared the house when not with her military husband. When the owner died the sister kept the house and rented one floor out. She loved to travel and was gone a great deal and the house was not properly maintained. I have been told the house frame is cypress very bug and rot resistant but I assure you the clapboard and porch boards are not! The kitchen sink was updated with metal cabinets from the 40 or 50s that are a rusty mess and that was probably the last effort on remodeling. It still has the old knob and tube wiring and steel plumbing. It also has a small garage that is leaning to the right about 6-8 inches. Lets hope I can learn to winch and jack up houses. This house is a grand old lady and I am praying I can find the skills to save her. I bet the neighbors will get a good laugh out of me trying anyway. I am lucky the neighborhood is a bit run down so no one complains.

Mick_VT

Re: Hello

Post by Mick_VT »

dixie girl wrote:I just found this site online and I am not a good computer or cell phone user so I will have to figure out how to get my pictures on here. I love old houses. .

Hi Dixie Girl, welcome to the District :wave: :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I hope you dont mind that I moved this post out to its own thread, it as mixed in the Margaret75's hello thread.
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

Hi and welcome. Please do post pictures we love seeing others projects.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Hello and welcome! I second the desire for pictures and I applaud your desire to save the house and your fortitude to jump in and try. Lots of folks here share your feelings, so don't be afraid to ask any questions and post your findings. We (I anyway) love to live vicariously through others adventures!
Etta says "WOOF"

dixie girl
Settling in

Post by dixie girl »

Can someone tell me how to get my pictures from my folder on my computer into a post. I know how to attach to an email but not how to do this.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Below the "reply" section there is a button that says "Full Editor & Preview". Click it.
That will bring you to a more detailed reply page, and at the bottom there are two tabs- "Options" and "Attachments". Click attachments and then there will be a button to upload photos. It should automatically pull up a window where you select the folder where your pictures are, and then you can pick the photo you want.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Welcome in!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Welcome aboard!

dixie girl
Settling in

Post by dixie girl »

dixie dream0003.jpg
dixie dream0003.jpg (528.99 KiB) Viewed 813 times
I think I am stuck in the time period of the house, really hope this works

dixie girl
Settling in

Post by dixie girl »

Thank you for the help my new Canadian friend. This doesn't relate to this post but at one of our hockey games in your lovely country the sound system went out right after our national anthem started and you folks didn't miss a beat before everyone picked it up and sang it. You must all be very helpful we all cried with joy.