Hello! New owner of c1790 Huguenot cottage

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
EricD
Just Arrived

Hello! New owner of c1790 Huguenot cottage

Post by EricD »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and semi-recently purchased our new old home!

It's a c1790 French Huguenot home near Richmond, Va. We're loving it so far, and I have a to-do list a mile long. :)

Vala

Re: Hello! New owner of c1790 Huguenot cottage

Post by Vala »

Welcome to The District. Got any photos?

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Welcome to the photo hungry Historic District. We don't get to see many if any 1790 houses and would love to share in your joy!
Welcome to the group, it is a great place. You will like it here .
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Welcome to the District EricD!
Mick...

EricD
Just Arrived

Post by EricD »

Thank you all for the welcome!

Sorry that it took me a little bit to post a photo, the forum kept saying that the files are too big, so I kept re-sizing until it would let me upload... so I'm sorry for the poor image quality. (Had to bring it down to just 225 KB before it would stop giving me an error)

The 2 front doors are typical of the style. (No center hall) The dormers were added around 1965.

The one photo is of the right parlor, which we currently use as an office and meeting space.

The other photo is of one of the two upstairs bedrooms before we moved in. (please don't judge the paint color or painted brick... that wasn't us!)
Attachments
LittleMelrose (2 of 6).jpg
LittleMelrose (2 of 6).jpg (555.77 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
LittleMelrose (5 of 6).jpg
LittleMelrose (5 of 6).jpg (544.92 KiB) Viewed 1088 times
LittleMelrose (1 of 1).jpg
LittleMelrose (1 of 1).jpg (219.64 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Eric, welcome to the District. looking at your pictures I see a lot of the work has already been done, at least on the surface. Painted brick, a lot of us suffer the same white paint blight to some degree. I see you have both original chimneys still intact that's great. We have a probably half a dozen early 1800 late 1700's homes here. I'm sure they be happy for an increase in there numbers.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Eric D, Welcome from Eric P!

My house originally had two front doors and i assume that's what it must have looked like. Your staircase is still centered in the building? Very cute house.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

another 'welcome to the neighborhood' greeting!

a lovely little home...I actually like the green color if that's what you were referring to...very nice moldings all around...do I see a pulley and rope on your narrow windows? are they single or double hung?
......jade

EricD
Just Arrived

Post by EricD »

Gothichome, we've really worked our butts off since we moved in. Some things as easy as cleaning and painting, to more complicated stuff like electrical and refinishing the floors in the office. It's been a lot of work, and when I get more time I think I'll post some before and after photos. :)

Jade, the old downstairs windows do have ropes and pulleys. Precious owners had screwed the top sashes in place, so I honestly don't know if they are double hung or not.

As far as I can tell, there is just one original window (not pictured) and it's on a wall that had an addition built behind it, so it just looks into plaster. But the glass is crazy wave and has oval shaped imperfections.

The roof and front of the house was damaged by a fire, so a lot was replaced there. (Early drywall with holes and a plaster coat, the window panes were probably replaced, if not the whole window, new trim, etc) The walls, trim, etc on the other walls is still original.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Cute house! I love the look of the floors upstairs. Are you going to keep them like that? What does your kitchen look like? More pictures when you have time, please.
Diane