We bought our old house...now what?

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Queenofthehill85
Settling in

We bought our old house...now what?

Post by Queenofthehill85 »

Hi!

It's my first post. =) we bought our house at the first of June this year. So far we have updated the electrical, plumbing, a new roof and painters are currently working on the exterior.

I think our house would be classified as a craftsman bungalow. But I am not 100% sure. We were told it was built in 1900. Sometimes I think it could be older and sometimes I think it could be newer. I will include a few pictures and maybe some of you will lend your opinions.

I have been reading through the forum and have already found several threads that have been very helpful to us. I look forward to participating often.

I should also note that it has taken me 3 different forums to finally get to THD..but I am here now, and glad that journey is over. haha.

Ashley
Attachments
Every bedroom has the built ins, in the closets. Only one room has the built in vanity.
Every bedroom has the built ins, in the closets. Only one room has the built in vanity.
use it 4.jpg (205.82 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
front view of the house.
front view of the house.
use it 3.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Living room showing the built ins.
Living room showing the built ins.
use it 2.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
The hallway looking towards our front door.
The hallway looking towards our front door.
use it 1.jpg (173.11 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Re: We bought our old house...now what?

Post by TexasRed »

Welcome to The District Queenofthehill :wave: Sure glad you went to all the trouble to find us.

What a cute house you bought - congratulations. I'm in awe over the built ins and those arches. Those are really fantastic.

Some of the more knowledgeable members here will chime in soon with opinions on your home's style. My house has an identity issue, so I ordered "A Field Guide to American Houses". Looking forward to learning all about early 1900's houses.

This forum has a great wealth of knowledge and talent. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. I have learned so much from this group.

As always, we love pictures, feel free to post many more ;)
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Alooha!

I have seen that style of house referred to as a southern cottage. The high ceilings and tall windows are a boon when the summer is in full swing!

More photos please!

Cheers!
Chaz

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi, that is an interesting looking house, and it does have a lot of Craftsman features, like that hallway shot with the arch and built ins on each side.

I looked up the styles that our in our town's historical society pdf, it says that Craftsman took off in 1910 to the 40's, but was around earlier. Perhaps those items were added later, or the builder had extra money to put into the house. The hip roof does tell another story, this house may be copying other styles. It almost looks like it has a touch of Queen Anne.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Good day queenofthehill, can't give you an answer on your new home but at first glance at the exterior I thought Queen Anne, then looked again nope it's a bungalow. After that I had nothing. Same scenario for the interior, fist glance, at the hallway said craftsman with a bit of an art nouveau feel in the arch. Hummm interesting. Maybe Neighmond's has it pegged, it's a regional thing. Be patient we have some people a lot smarter than me here. Great to hear you've handled the roof and a few other things. That's a great start. One other item, generally, we here suggest living with the home for a year or so. The home will tell you what it needs and you will be surprised at how functional these old homes are. And yes, most definitely welcome.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I dont recall the name, but there is a style from that period, a something "cottage" that I think the exterior and layout fits into (others here will know for sure). Inside I think I see a lot of 1950s updates to a late victorian style.
Mick...

Queenofthehill85
Settling in

It sounds like you all have the same puzzled opinion that we do! Haha. The house seems to be a few styles rolled into one.

The house is much bigger than it looks from the front. I will include some more pictures.

A school teacher bought the house in 1932 and at that time it had some renovations. Her brother and his family lived in the house until 1976 when the last owner bought it. (She was a traveling teacher. I have done a little research and she taught all over the US. I have found her in North Carolina and Oklahoma so far. Her husband died very early in their marriage) anyways..the last owner is the one that decided to put up this awful paneling and they had carpet installed. I am so so thankful for that. It preserved our beautiful hardwood floors. They are next on the list to be re finished...right after a few repairs to the kitchen.

We found a section of the hardwood flooring while doing the rewiring. It's stamped Chattanooga TN on the bottom.

I'm glad to be here. My family does not get the love for my house and they just politely listen while I ramble. My husband and I love it and to be honest..I am certain that our 10 year old is having the time of his life helping us renovate. I hope it sparks a life long love to appreciate the old things and to hopefully make him want to one day save and restore his own home.

I'll include some more pictures. From what we can tell, the house started out as 4 rooms and a center hall and was later added a dining room and kitchen. But from the looks inside of the attic and under the house it was done shortly after it was built and prior to the 1930's renovation. We think our hardwood floors were installed in that time. Our bathroom was added at that time (was originally a section of the back porch). We have a 1930's Crane tub and Crane Nu-day sink.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (598.86 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

Queenofthehill85
Settling in

Do any of you know when the 9 over 1 windows were popular? They have ropes and weights to help left them. They are each around 6.5-7' tall. They are either original or were added during the renovation in the 1930's. Some still have the wavy glass.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (578.5 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (477.09 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Now you say about the 1930s renovations (or maybe you did before :crazy: ) I could see those arches being part of that - Art Deco
Mick...

oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

Post by oaktree »

I completely understand why you and your husband love this house! It is beautiful as is, and you are now discovering all the interesting and even more beautiful, hidden things that have been covered up by previous owners! I will be following what you do!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan