Greetings From Scenic Oakland!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Greetings From Scenic Oakland!

Post by Nicholas »

lisascenic wrote:
Nicholas wrote:I have white fixtures and green tub, maybe we should trade! (kidding)

I want to see photos!

.....and here ya go!

Before, (the actual real estate ad photo):

During resto: I had already scraped the tub. When the house was jacked up, four of the large tiles and soap dish started to fall off the wall. That whole wall was "mushy", and I discovered under that ceramic tile was wet soggy plaster over masonite tile board, over the original moldy tongue and groove.

Like I said, this bathroom was installed some 25 years after the house was built, I suspect at one time this could have been either a kitchen or part of the two bedrooms.

And here is where we are today, I removed the plaster on the right to expose the wood, which was different from the other tongue and groove, wider boards. I did the cement board, and had a tile guy help me with the tile around the tub. Then I did the Stainmaster adhesive groutable vinyl for the floor. The floor is actually more gray than it appears in the photo.

Here is that floor tile and how it really looks, I have no idea why the camera makes it look different in my pic:

Now here is the tub that would match your toilet, it has the same design on the side as mine but it has that extra jutting contour feature:

Speaking of pink!!

If you do a search of "aqua or mint green bathroom ideas" (images), you will see how we came about for our bath colors to go with the tub, lots of good ideas, hope this helps!

PS: This is a boob lamp, have one in aforementioned bathroom:

:thumbup:
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Don M

Post by Don M »

Your bathroom turned out very well.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I'll never look at that type of light as just a cheap light again. On sale at a big box store close to you, $9.95 all day every day.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Don M wrote:Your bathroom turned out very well.

Thanks Don, it was a lot worse, they did their best to hide it in the ad pic.

Gothichome wrote:I'll never look at that type of light as just a cheap light again. On sale at a big box store close to you, $9.95 all day every day.

Yeah, the boobs were already here when we got the house, would like to find out what was there, but I am not even sure it even had ceiling lighting originally.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

I've actually written about colorful vintage bathrooms on my blog. For those who might enjoy some eye-candy, here's the link:

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2014/05/he ... -home.html

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lisa, I wouldn't worry too much about the time you take (from reading your blog). Most of us here (I believe) have the skills to do the job correctly and make it look great. The pros make it look easy and fast because they have already learnt the lessons and the skills. When I started out as an apprentice one of the old guys I worked with gave me a bit of wisdom. " it doesn't take a tradesman to make perfection look good, but it does take a tradesman to make the imperfect look good"

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. But then, maybe you don't know that I actually am a professional painter. I'm extremely happy with the work I'm doing, and the care I'm taking. I may not exactly love spending hours on my back, wedged between the wall and the tub, but I think the end product is pretty sweet.

The thing is that quite a few people have been asking me why I'm bothering with restoring the plaster "tile" and why I'm not ripping it all out and installing ceramic tile. So, on the blog, I was trying to articulate my choices.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lisa, on reading your blog post again, I see I interpreted your item three wrong. And for that I must apologize. My post was from the view that, some, me included, take on a lot of restoration projects that go far beyond what we have done in the past but with time, patience and a few rethinks we get it done. Were as a tradesman, who does the same type of project day in and day out, takes very little time.
Once again, I apologize there was no debasing of your workmanship or efforts intended.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

No worries! I figured there was a simple misunderstanding.

You're such a sweetheart.