1836 Cape in MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
CCappabianca
Just Arrived

Re: 1836 Cape in MA

Post by CCappabianca »

Oh and the bread oven doesn't work! Some previous owner put a gas fireplace in the living room, which blocked off the chimney for the three other fireplaces. My pizza loving Italian husband would LOVE to remedy that issue...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hi Christine and welcome!!

great place you've got there...honestly, I don't see the 'greek revival'...looks like a full cape with additions...

have you ever heard the saying "that wasn't Sandwich, that was Scituate!" instead of 'it' at the end of scituate say 'ate'...(that was shityouate!!)...for those not familiar, it's pronounced sit-chu-it on the south shore (show-a) of Massachusetts...

thanks for sharing......
....jade

CCappabianca
Just Arrived

Post by CCappabianca »

Hi Jade! I see you know Mass well! My house is not even old to Scituate standards!

So I have been trying to do research on the details of my house , specifically the front door area. I've been trying to figure out how "original" what is there is, and the ignorance in me was trying to confirm it wasn't originally like a batten door or anything. "Greek Revival" has come up repeatedly in my searches as kind of the "national style" during the period and is characterized by exactly the kind of front door we have. This is one of the best little blurbs I found (and now I want to learn more about Benjamin Asher!)

Greek Revival: 1830–1860
The Greek Revival style was based on the architecture of classic Greek temples and grew from an increasing interest in classical buildings in western Europe and America. It was known as the “National Style” in America between 1830 and 1850 because of its nationwide predominance and popularity. Massachusetts architect-carpenter Benjamin Asher (1773–1845) is credited with disseminating the Greek Revival style through his influential house plan books.

The characteristic element shared by virtually all Greek Revival buildings is the wide band of trim below the cornice, representing the classical entablature. Other defining features include pilasters or paneled trim at the building corners, flat-roofed entry porches supported by round or square columns, and door surrounds that include a transom and sidelights. The sidelights on Greek Revival houses are characteristically nearly door-height versus the partial-height sidelights seen on Federal houses. Windows typically have 6/6 sash with decorative, often pedimented, crowns. Corner squares are often seen on window surrounds. Palladian windows are absent on Greek Revival buildings.
(quoted from here: http://preservation.mhl.org/history)

Here is another image I found helping me with my doors:
image001-6.png
image001-6.png (108.81 KiB) Viewed 541 times

This image also has me wondering about my inside doors. The first floor has mostly 6 panels, but the upstairs has a mixture of 4 and 6 panels, with varying degrees. The front door, randomly, has 7 panels. All of the doors are too thin for standard locks, even the front door. I hate the glass storm door on the front, but my husband pointed out it might be to prevent leaks.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I agree with Jade it looks like a Cape to me as well. My sister in law has a very similar center chimney Cape (early 1700s) in Pepperell, MA. Her enclosed stairs go to the second floor off the keeping room (former kitchen) at the back of the house. Welcome to the Neighborhood! Your home is delightful. I was like your husband & didn't want my young son to help paint---my spouse also objected!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Hi Christine! Lovely home. I have a one year-old too. Between the baby and a full time job, it's amazing how little time there is, right?

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Welcome on board!... Until about 9 years ago my aunt lived just past Morning Glory Bakery at 5 Old Country Way. The original 2 rooms of the house she researched went back to 1685.

Your house looks wonderful. Enjoy the area.. Great Blueberry picking at Tree Berry Farm.
I am sure you know about the "Old Oaken Bucket" homestead.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!