1907 Arts and Crafts

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Don M

Re: 1907 Arts and Crafts

Post by Don M »

Those pictures are great, I would enjoy seeing what you have done since moving in. I love your library cabinets & the front stair hall I bet is outstanding. What was in the area of the front stairs; it looks like a large patch in the floor & the left side of the stairs? There are many super details in your home.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ober51 wrote:
Ireland House wrote:"we have to do this before we do that , but we have to do this other thing before we can do this".

we all need something to keep us busy at night when we're sleeping ;-)

Don M

Post by Don M »

phil wrote:
Ober51 wrote:
Ireland House wrote:"we have to do this before we do that , but we have to do this other thing before we can do this".

we all need something to keep us busy at night when we're sleeping ;-)

I find it amazing what answers and solutions I come up with while I am sleeping!! :dance:

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Nice looking place! Those built-ins are great - particularly the desk.

I'm also loving the warming cupboard built into the radiator. I'm assuming that's in the dining room? Or maybe a kitchen or butler's pantry?

Chris

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that pinterest website always crashes my browser but I did see some beautiful woodwork in there, Looks like quite a nice place! so big !

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Did the house have its own telephone exchange? :D

LOVE the crazy radiators!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ireland, glad you found us, I believe you also posted on WG. I remember your pics, the strange electrical panel, and your fireplace hood, wich I still believe has lot of Macintosh influenced in the design.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Texas Ranger - Not our own zip code, but we did have our own Edison generator. :lol: We are not sure they totally trusted it though, as at least part of the house also had gas lighting pipes. We are currently gutting (literally!) the main floor water closet and decided to leave the exposed gas piping for fun. Anyone have ideas on where to find a light fixture? It need not work, will only be for show.

The cool warming oven is in the dining room. We are currently taking up the floor in the kitchen, pantries and bath to install radiant heat. Only the kitchen had a radiator, and it was quite undersized. I guess they figured the heat from the stove would keep that corner of the house warm enough. There is a neat box in one of the pantry wall to keep hot coals so they could cool the stove down during the day in the summer. This house was very well thought out when it was built. Lot of stuff we have never seen in any other house. Will try to get current project pics posted in the construction zone. P
Today is my happily ever after.

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

The copper and black radiator is absolutely gorgeous. I'm assuming that is the original finish - it looks to be a match to Japanned (or copper flash) hardware that was common at the turn of the century. If you come across other pieces that are copper with black it's supposed to be there. :) I have some pieces in my house (although unfortunately none of the light fixtures are left). You can put door hardware such as hinges in a crockpot on low heat for a few hours to get the paint off them then finish with a light wax or matt spray.