NeoClassical 4Square in Pittsburgh

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

NeoClassical 4Square in Pittsburgh

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

Hello - so glad to have found this new community.

We've been in our home in Pittsburgh for just over 2 years, now. It dates to about 1905 and unlike our past 2 old homes, this one isn't in need of rebuilding everything. Maybe we're old and kind of tired, or maybe just super lucky to have found an old house that, for the most part, hasn't been rehashed over, and over, and over. In fact, except for POs putting a bath into the original pantry space, it's pretty much as it was built. Sure the wall finishes were reworked (someone thought it stylish to sand paint the walls in some rooms), but even so, there is only about 2-3 coats of paint on the walls and in many cases the original wallpaper is still clinging to the walls. The woodwork has never been painted (2 bedrooms have wood trim that was always painted) and thanks to having a home built of 3 layers of solid brick with stone over that, no one has been ambitious enough to blast through an exterior wall to make any changes.

Like our past house, I have been (trying) to document the work were doing to take it back to being somewhat authentic on a blog: Stone Shack

Looking forward to learning more from all of you and seeing your amazing homes transform.
Last edited by StoneHouseGuy on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: NeoClassical 4Square in Pittsburgh

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hey... welcome! I'm from outside of Greensburg originally. Looks like a great house!

Chris

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Welcome, from just up the road, in Youngstown.

I don't have much personal experience with Pittsburgh, but from pictures I've seen, it's common for old houses to be remuddled in bad ways, there. I'm glad you were able to undo the aluminum cladding, and uncover all of your house's original details.

I don't know Pittsburgh's geography, at all. But I think my great-great-aunt lived in a house in the Mt. Washington area, but recently (within the last several years) sold it and moved to a retirement community in Sewickley.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome, what a grand home you have, great to see all the work you've put in.

Swedesboro Castle
Just Arrived

Post by Swedesboro Castle »

I enjoyed those pictures. Fine work. I love the front view of your home with the dual chimney stacks. They give the home such character.