Has anyone heard of Brosco Windows ?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Has anyone heard of Brosco Windows ?

Post by lovesickest »

There is a long post on Manhattan Nest's site(about his old home restoration), and he mentions affordable single pane, wood framed sash windows manufactured by Brosco. They are described as "barn sashes". Has anyone here used these windows ?

http://manhattan-nest.com/2016/07/20/ma ... c-windows/

SkipW

Re: Has anyone heard of Brosco Windows ?

Post by SkipW »

Brosco is a huge millwork company that is based in New England (they have offices, warehouses and a shop in Portland, ME just an hour from me)

I have a Brosco book, which is probably 300 pages of millwork items...doors, windows, stairs, moldings, hardware, etc. There is now an online version as well.

I have not used the windows, but would if could not find salvage sashes to use for projects.

Here is a link to the 'barn sash' that he is probably referring to (I did not check your link...)

Link to Brosco Book online
Etta says "WOOF"

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

I'm in Canada, so I have never heard of this company before. The link you provided looks like they have several decent styles of wood windows for historic homes. I am curious about the quality of their product in this style ? The hassles of getting it shipped across the border are another issue, however, not to mention the low value CAN dollar right now.

Check out the link in my post - the author has a good drawing of sash window anatomy (don't know the source, it was not drawn by him) as well as comparison photos of the windows he finds unacceptable substitutes. It sounds like the Brosco windows were quite affordable, too ? Not that I am shilling his blog or Brosco windows. I thought the post might be of use to the many others struggling with replacement window dilemmas ?

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

I have all Brosco Authentic Divided Light windows in my house (approx 30). Mostly 9 over 6 sashes. http://www.brosco.com/uploads/Price%20Pages%20and%20Forms/B-1thru18.pdf

They aren't top of the line windows but they are affordable. I bought a couple in the last 12 years for the ell on the back of my house that I have rebuilt. I think the quality of the frame has dropped a little and the window locks are cheaper quality but not enough to discourage me from buying them.

Jeff

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

lovesickest wrote:I'm in Canada, so I have never heard of this company before. The link you provided looks like they have several decent styles of wood windows for historic homes. I am curious about the quality of their product in this style ? The hassles of getting it shipped across the border are another issue, however, not to mention the low value CAN dollar right now.

I'm in Canada too, and I really like Hoffmeyer's Mill (Seabringville, Ontario). They do wood sash windows, and many other wood things for old houses, such as handrails, front doors, exterior wood siding, etc. We actually visited the mill about a month ago, met the owner, saw what they were working on, and talked at length. Great people, and great products. If you are in the market for such things, I've found them to be very helpful. In fact, they are supplying us with our board and battens next week for our garage, made of kiln dried pine. Great stuff.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

there is no comparison between quality sash made by an authentic sash maker and brockway-smith company (brosco) windows...brosco windows have their place but they are cheaply made...the wood that is used is inferior and the joints are glued and stapled...that said we all have our budgets...the company carries a line of standard sizes...if you want something other than standard, you will pay more...if you do go with brosco, I suggest you sand the wood with 120 grit sandpaper, apply one coat of blopentine, one coat of oil primer and two-three coats of finish paint...make sure you maintain them over the years to get the best return on your money...

here in Massachusetts, the building code won't allow for new single pane even with weather stripping and storm windows unless energy efficiency is made up in another part of the house...they won't spend time testing the efficiency of single pane/storms...

good luck...
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Hoffmeyer's Mill has my vote as well. Their work is top notch. I've ordered windows from them.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Vala, did you get those windows installed yet?

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

A lot of places around here in Boston carry them. I've looked at them in person and I liked their profile/shadow lines. My friend who does historic restoration condo conversion used them in his recent project and they look good. Can't speak for quality or longevity though.

Another New England manufacturer to consider is http://www.bostonsash.com I think they are a little more high end.