The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The bungalow project

Post by Lily left the valley »

In your blog, you mention insulating with "old fashioned fiberglass" (which made me laugh, I admit) before the ceiling goes up. I wasn't sure if you meant for the attic, or sidewalls, or between floors. Have you looked into Roxsul at all? You can get it through HD now (not sure if it's on the shelves or ship to store/delivery only). If you meant between floors, Roxsul also acts as a better sound dampener than fiberglass.

Love the photo find.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

Yeah, that was pretty tongue in cheek (the insulation part).

Just the ceiling in the blue room, it's attic space above. The other walls and ceilings are inside walls/heated space above and didn't have insulation.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The gas co lights the pilots on any gas appliances-and I can't run the furnace without electric. Without the furnace on, I didn't want to turn on the water in case of a freeze. And without water in the tank, he also couldn't light the water heater either.

That does make sense - although our gas company certainly doesn't do that. Back in early 02 we took possession of the flat next door and the gas had been off for a few months (I think the previous tenant passed away in late October and we got the keys in late February), with 1915 pipework. Once the gas was turned on we had a lot of fun bleeding air from the gas lines (e.g. holding down the buttons for the pilots long enough until we got gas instead of air). Managed to get the two gas fires and the small geyser (tankless water heater) in the kitchen going but failed with the large geyser in the bathroom, probably a clogged nozzle. Didn't bother to call a plumber since the geyser had less than two months to live anyway to be replaced by a combi boiler that could also heat the place instead of only giving hot water and we had hot water in the kitchen, although there was no sink - the heirs took the kitchen to the tip and only left the gas cooker. We didn't really mind not having to dismantle a sticky, greasy 60s kitchen.

eclecticcottage

I was really surprised they did, to be honest. I imagine it's a liability thing though-so if something isn't operating properly or isn't safe, they will shut the gas back off and lock you out until it's fixed. I didn't ask. I know I've heard of some folks buying vintage stoves and running into issues with their gas or propane supplier due to that (match light ovens aren't considered "safe"). I was a little concerned about that with The Cottage when we picked up a new supplier last month, but he didn't have a problem with my stove (1950's Floyd Wells Bengal-pilot burners, match light oven).

I forgot to take a photo. I found a piece of lath with a date on it yesterday. It was a long day. I think it was 1923, which predated the "official" build date by 5 years. I will try to remember to take a pic today. It's in a drawer there with other "cool stuff" I've found.

Getting closer to the end of demo, finally. I can't wait to get the place cleaned up and get to moving forward on putting it back together.

I used a flashlight to see in the little grate on the side of the porch. I have a stone foundation-at least under the porch.

And I still can't figure out that this is for. It's in this bedroom and the kitchen bedroom. It's just plastic. Originally I thought it was for wiring (The Old House had wiring run on the outside of walls in a plastic "protector"), but it's not.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Maybe there was wiring in there once! It definitely looks like PVC trunking for wires.

Around here the gas suppliers work(ed) like this: as long as you don't touch anything it's grandfathered in but as soon as you change anything they're onto you like hawks. Pressure test of your pipes, visual inspection etc. Now there's a new legal requirement, pressure testing every ten years so might be interesting for older homes - gas pipes can leak quite a bit without being noticed or posing any risk but a pressure test will reveal the leak. You can't smell the gas (and you can smell gas waaaaaayyyyy before there's any risk of explosion, gas is quite heavily scented so you can detect even tiniest amounts in the air) but the supplier will still lock you out. Or at least the insurance company might screw you if anything happens.

eclecticcottage

They did do (and require) a pressure test.

Actually, there were a bunch of possible issues, luckily somehow when they had the utilities shut off (it was an REO/foreclosure), they didn't do whatever is typically done. The meters weren't removed, so we didn't need extensive testing and inspections-and both the electric and gas companies had those things as possible issues when I made the appointments for getting them turned on.

eclecticcottage

I also found out the PO has been scoping out the work. It's not a bad thing. I had heard part of the backstory so I wasn't too concerned. A combination of an accident and health issues (one him, on her) made it so they just couldn't afford the place. The neighbor told me the PO still lives in town, loved the house and is happy someone bought it that is fixing it up-I also know where she works and her name in case I want to talk to her. Not sure on that yet given the circumstances, but my agent also knows her (small towns, ya know) so if I wanted to, I could. They only owned it like 10 years though. Maybe I will and ask her where they heck they put the fridge, lol.

eclecticcottage

Date stamped lath

I am going to try to enhance the blue with a computer program and see if I can figure out the rest of the stamping, then I will post that too.

It says #1 (word I can't decipher) 2 1923. It is either stamped or stenciled-or someone has really great handwriting lol.

Took out everything but the 2x4 base for the cabinets in the upstairs kitchen. We tried (had some friends over last night for help) but it was determined not to come out in one piece. As I figured, it was site built, by folks that meant for it to stay there. I saved the doors and drawers and hardware. I will sell (or really, try to) the stove (since I don't know if it works). I am keeping that sink. It's pristine. I hope to use it in the kitchen downstairs. Granted, it's not original (1940s? 1950s?) but it's great. Even the strainer is original!

Down to two more ceilings (one is so detached almost the entire thing moves when you push up on it, a couple walls and the kitchen chimney. Then the old (linoleum) flooring in the dining room, kitchen, bathrooms and upstairs kitchen bedroom and removing any wiring I can (the basement is a disaster-I've never seen so many splices and junctions). Then the bathrooms (sinks, tub, toilets, stuff I want to save and make sure isn't damaged like the old soap dish) come out so floors and walls can be done, wiring needs run throughout, drywall hung/mudded/taped, paint, kitchen, lighting hung, flooring done...I just can't wait to see it all start coming back together. It's just such a great house. Everyone so far that's seen it loves it-the water guy, the gas guy, the neighbors, friends...If I was one of those wealthy folks that can have a second home, I think I would be hanging onto it myself. But alas, I am not.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

It is possible that does not say a date, it could just be numbers - to my eye it looks more like "192 3" than "1923"
Mick...

eclecticcottage

I didn't think of that-it is possible. I am going to play with the photo today on my lunch and see what I come up with.