The bungalow project

Project updates and progress reports
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: The bungalow project

Post by eclecticcottage »

Lily left the valley wrote:Best of luck with a smooth closing. :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

I don't know why, but the ivy wallpaper in the upper hall is growing on me the more I see it, and I'm not one for wallpaper.

Thanks, so far the electric co flaked and won't be there til Monday. Torpedo heater. yay.

Yeah, I actually kind of like it. It's in bad shape, but I would keep it in my house if it was and I was living there. I'll peel a piece to keep though. Well...I could just pick up a piece that peeled itself lol.

eclecticcottage

Mick_VT wrote:
eclecticcottage wrote:It has a blog now http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot.com/ lawyer is set to close tomorrow am. :dance:

Awesome! You should submit it to the blog roll in the Library if you haven't already

Done! Submitted the Cottage and the Bungalow.

eclecticcottage

GAH! I got unlogged in after typing a big ole post.

Due to lack of time and having been at the Bungalow the better part of the day, see the blog for new pics and updates :P

http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot ... ction.html

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

eclecticcottage wrote:
Mick_VT wrote:
eclecticcottage wrote:It has a blog now http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot.com/ lawyer is set to close tomorrow am. :dance:

Awesome! You should submit it to the blog roll in the Library if you haven't already

Done! Submitted the Cottage and the Bungalow.

I'll get them added real soon
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I see you're wasting no time at all.

Loved the comedy of errors with the utilities. :crazy:

Hope you take some time off for turkey day.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

Ty Mick.

Some, Lily, but I'll probably be there a couple hours tomorrow. We don't have family in the area anymore so we don't have a big feast to attend :P . I want to rake up all the leaves and get the wisteria the heck off of the house. I hate wisteria. So pretty, yet SO destructive and they just won't die! I've been hacking new sprouts from one I took out at The Cottage 4 years ago every year since. I have to back to the day job Monday (had this week off, planned well before I even made an offer on the Bungalow) so I need to take advantage. It's funny, I have unfinished projects here at The Cottage, but I guess knowing it's a "business" is making me be sure to jump all over this. Time is money in this case I guess.

Still debating the lattice. The one on the porch is a support for a climbing rose I need to rewire to it if I keep it, otherwise I guess I need to remove the rose too. It looks kind of rough, but I hate to remove a good plant like the rose. It's a pretty red one from the old pic I dug up.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Exactly why couldn't they turn on the gas? How's that related to water and electricity? I mean obviously a furnace would require gas and electricity to work and a boiler might need water too but that's not really something for the gas company to worry about, is it?

eclecticcottage

The gas co lights the pilots on any gas appliances-and I can't run the furnace without electric. Without the furnace on, I didn't want to turn on the water in case of a freeze. And without water in the tank, he also couldn't light the water heater either.

Went over to the house for a little bit earlier, going back shortly. Demo'd more plaster walls that were beyond trying to save them and started taking off the kind of freaky locks on the doors-on the outsides of the rooms. Trying not to wonder about the reason. Met the woman that takes care of an elderly neighbor and got a hug :D She was overjoyed that someone bought the place and was doing work-a little sad when I told her we weren't sure we were planning to move there. Yeah, about that-I am discovering how nice it is to actually be able to walk places-like the hardware store and pizza place! I doubt we'll fall in love with it enough to leave the lake, but now I can see how those first time flippers on shows sometimes actually end up keeping the place in the end.

More demo photos, plus a really sweet old lock

http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot ... -demo.html

eclecticcottage

A little more demo.

http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot ... t-two.html

Any ideas what the bell is?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think that's your door bell. the chain latch is cool nice design on it.

the door probably had a latch where it is external to the door . I will look for a pic of what I mean. is there no hole fotr the striker cut?

I found this latch picture . I want one like this !
http://previews.123rf.com/images/aantip ... -Photo.jpg

this is the kind I was thinking of. ( link below) If it had one like this it might explain why there is a hole in the door but no hole for the latch. if you buy one make sure it is the right conf=iguration . I found a neat one and then found I couldn't use it because it is for a door that opens the other way so the latch ad the rounded latch part shaped the wrong way and it wasn't reversible. If it had that kind of latch you;d expect to see some screw holes int he door and beside the door whare it once was. the actual outside lock part , the part in the door can be a common modern one I think.

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/antique-d ... 730853250/

I like htis latch because if I flip the lever down its locked from the outside but I can get out and if I flip it up it can't be opened from the outside even with the key. when I go out I have a deadbolt and if that is locked you can't open it from either side so it makes it a little harder for a crook to use that door to cart stuff out if he does break in some other way. the thing to be careful of is you dont' wan the situation where you lock yourself in and need the key to get out if there is ever a fire.

I dont' know if that made sense but I use the deadbolt or both, when no one is home and I use this latch if I feel like locking the door when I am home in case I need to get out in a hurry I still can. If you look at some utube videos on "lock bumping" it shows how easy it is to get almost any lock to unlock, and how to make special keys for lock bumping. but if you have two locks it becomes a lot more difficult to do that.

some of those latches are old cast iron and some are alunimum so if you get one online try not to get the newer alunimum kind if you can.

it looks like you are into some fun with the walls. !