The Kitchen is Finished!

Project updates and progress reports
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Re: The Kitchen is Finished!

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Phil, that sounds really tricky. It is so hard working on big projects while also in a marriage or partnership. One person always seems far more invested in the process, but often times, neither party can fully compromise. The kitchen designer at Lowe's really helped us. There were times when I thought the space between everything was too big and the island too small. I finally just had to trust her, and it really worked out. On paper, it never looks quite like it will look once it is done.

We do have a separate formal dining room. In addition, next summer, I am going to build a long narrow table that will fit in the enclosed porch (accessed via the kitchen door with the window). Then , we can have a less-formal eating nook.

Kmarissa - It's crazy, isn't it? Now the door is really highlighted. Before it just blended into the yellowness. :P
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

That looks amazing! Wonderful choices!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I noticed you don't have a backsplash. I "finished" mine a few years ago and never got round to adding one either. I left that board off below the window sill. I think Ill have about an inch or two between that and the countertop once I get off my arse and replace it. I was trying to sort out how to end the molding as well. I think Ill just put a little 1/4 round or something small just to stop any spills from going behind but as things have gone it really hasn't been an issue , just an unfinished detail for me.
I hated the ubiquitous molded countertops they sell that you see in every appartment complex. i added a rounded wood strip along the front edge so I didnt' have the sharp front edge. It worked ok but it was a challenge to make it fit exactly flush with the arborite or formica or whatever it's called.

I picked a nice "stone" Formica. I like it , it really looks like stone. I had a girl over and she thought it was stone and proceeded to put a red hot pot in the middle and it made a big bubble.. so I went and got a new sheet of the same pattern. I made my countertop 4 inches extra deep I needed a 5x10 sheet. I have it put away and one day Ill get the steam to replace the top.. the girl didn't pass probation lol ;-)

You went with an undercounter sink so I guess that's stone or a resin type one that you used? I had bought an undercounter sink , planning to do stone at first. It was about 400 bucks. never used it, I just went with a basic two sided drop in sink because I wasn't sure I could mount the under-counter one with the formica countertop. i considered trying to. I think it's possible. after our separation the couple thousand for stone wasn't in the budget. I like the double sink anyway.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

phil wrote:I noticed you don't have a backsplash. .

Yes. There is no room for one. In our old kitchen, the window apron was removed and a piece of laminate was used as the backsplash. I did not want to do that in this kitchen.

Our sink is a stainless steel under mount sink.
Stacy

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I figure most backslashes are quite high but if they were even just a 1/4" that's all it needs so if you spill water it won't run down the back. I never put one or had any real issue. I used a deeper countertop so there is some space behind and I can access it if I pull the stove if I have a messy spill or something. The drain hose on my dishwasher met the end of it's life, the plastic rotted and started leaking and did some damage to the floor in short order. cheap plastic junk.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

phil wrote:I figure most backslashes are quite high but if they were even just a 1/4" that's all it needs so if you spill water it won't run down the back. I never put one or had any real issue. I used a deeper countertop so there is some space behind and I can access it if I pull the stove if I have a messy spill or something. The drain hose on my dishwasher met the end of it's life, the plastic rotted and started leaking and did some damage to the floor in short order. cheap plastic junk.

The painted apron serves as the backsplash, for better or worse. A thin line of clear caulk keeps the water from seeping under the apron and soaking into the wall or wood. It is not ideal, but I think it is going to work fine. I have taught my family to keep the sill and apron wiped off. :)
Stacy

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: I like your new kitchen a lot & it is so much more user friendly than the old one! :thumbup:

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Nice! Can't wait till we can attack ours!

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Great job!

Nancykc
Just Arrived

Post by Nancykc »

Lovely. Love the tile.