Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Project updates and progress reports
Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Got a Before & After to share? Let's see 'em!

Post by Ober51 »

That color scheme and completed work is awesome. Well done.

Mike
Settling in

Post by Mike »

Sara wrote:Wow Mike - Bathroom #1 looks great. Would love to see more photos if you have any. And yes - what was the room originally? Interesting!

It was a small breakfast nook that was really just a catch all for our junk. The second bathroom is on our second floor so this nook was the only spot to create a main floor bathroom. A bathroom off a kitchen is hardly ideal, but it was our only option to add a second bathroom.

Here's some more pictures
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html
Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

Don M

Post by Don M »

Beautiful job on your bath!

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

It's awesome work. Very nice. I notice your hex tile is daltile - did you find it just at home depot? And intermix it with some black intermittently? That exacly what I'd like to use.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

I don't have any recent before and afters on my own house (lots of customers...) but here is something I did a while back...we have a piece of property that has no storage, so I started building a shed out of cull lumber and bargain materials....well it spiraled a bit but I used reclaimed window sashes and the only materials I paid full price for was the roofing. So now tools and lawn equipment have a 'nice' shed....

I didn't think to take pictures when I started, so the 'before' pic is after the second day....
Attachments
IMG_20121205_125258_420.jpg
IMG_20121205_125258_420.jpg (281.94 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
IMG_20130819_164736_428.jpg
IMG_20130819_164736_428.jpg (213.95 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
Etta says "WOOF"

Don M

Post by Don M »

What a terrific shed; very nice!

Mike
Settling in

Post by Mike »

Sara wrote:

It's awesome work. Very nice. I notice your hex tile is daltile - did you find it just at home depot? And intermix it with some black intermittently? That exacly what I'd like to use.

Yes that what the tile contractor used. I used that size of datile because it was the only reasonably priced hex that was rectified with square edges and not pillow top like you mostly find now.
Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

simone
Just Arrived

Post by simone »

Wow!!! Looking amazing! Incredible work. Inspiring me to pursue my second period property renovation project... I'm an addict! Will upload pics soon :lol:

1806 Colonial
Settling in

Post by 1806 Colonial »

Here's a couple pictures from a bedroom I did a couple years ago. The before pictures are from the real estate listing when be bought the house. I call it Eliza's room because probate records show the room was willed to her when her father died in 1832. When she was older and married, her brother bought the rights to the room.

The room originally had a ceiling covering the beams and the gunstock corners were boxed in. The rough beams and posts were uncovered in the 70s and didn't look very pretty so I boxed them in. The covers we built in my shop so I could glue them up without nails enabling me to bead them without fear of hitting nails. Fortunately I could maneuver 14 1/2 foot long covers through the house, around corners and up the stairs. The window casings were just flat 1x5. I replaced them with the same but beaded the inside edge. I hand plane all the woodwork I put in with a blade that has a slight curve. When the light reflects off it you can see the plane marks. I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for the fact that I can see traces of the plane marks in the original doors. It has a nice effect. I use all "antique" cut nails from Tremont nails.

The fireplace in the room was removed years ago but the mantle remained. I replaced the 70's cheap Z-brick with better quality thin brick on the bottom and stuccoed the firebox because I couldn't fake the corners with thin brick.

Eliza's Room Before
Eliza's Room Before
Eliza's Room Before.jpg (32.33 KiB) Viewed 3167 times

Eliza's Room Before
Eliza's Room Before
Eliza's Room_Before.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 3167 times

Eliza's Room After
Eliza's Room After
Eliza's Room After.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 3167 times

Eliza's Room After
Eliza's Room After
Eliza's Room_After.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Boxed in Beams
Boxed in Beams
Eliza's Room Boxed Beams.jpg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 3167 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

Beautiful work; beautiful room!