1860 Maine Farmhouse Update!

Project updates and progress reports
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

1860 Maine Farmhouse Update!

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi, pretty excited here! We bought our dream "old farmhouse on a big hill in the boonies' last July. This is a pretty special place...one of ~30 "Grand Army of the Republic" gatherings was held here, as the first owner was a notable Union veteran. With that in mind, we're trying to be 'honorable' in our custody of this place, not do outlandish and overly-impacting things....

With getting ready for winter (cutting wood etc - no insulation!) and moving in, I didn't get a chance to really dig in and start the "rollback of time" process til about a month ago.

The home had asbestos siding from the 50s; before buying, I took a sneak peek behind some of it...the old spruce siding was still there in a few places, like a time capsule. So, I took a chance, being a house painter and all. Disclaimer - if you attempt removing asbestos siding yourself, check your states' regulations and follow appropriate safety precautions!! Dispose of properly:

1895 GAR folks, and a pic in same direction when we were looking to buy the house:

What you really get when people put siding over an old home. This was expected, I see it all the time at work - the volume of bugs under there was not tho, ha ha! Sadly we had to fell the big old maple to the left, as it was rotting and may have landed on the roof.

Where I am now after a few weeks of clap repair, sanding, and painting (staining, actually). Looks like there was only ever ONE coat of paint on here - NO peeling, NO spalls or "3D" areas! The front is ready for a 2nd coat (you can see the caulking etc.).

One day I'll have that power service moved. ;-) The house is facing a million dollar view of the mountains out by Rangeley, you can see the setting sun on the gable end! We were very fortunate to find such a nice place that only needs what I know how to do (LOL), without water issues, roof problems or insects and so on. I've had the 1st floor walls dense-packed, and am framing in the 2nd floor now (never finished off). It's all beautifully timber-framed, even the birch bark flashings behind the corner boards are in great shape!

It was totally worth the wait, and is worth all the hours we're putting in to hopefully give it another 155 years! :thumbup:

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Re: 1860 Maine Farmhouse Update!

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Welcome. That's a pretty house.

We had our electric service buried--seemed frivolous but we didn't like the look of all those wires. We are very happy we did so.

Good luck with the exterior.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Nothing is frivolous if it is what you want.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thanks, Kansas. The exterior will be great, I do 4 or 5 old homes every year. Finally it's my turn to have one of my own to restore! :)

Al is right, if you have to live there...it's not frivolous.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Looks great!

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Great house, I love the doorcase. I'm sure you'll be finding some interesting relics as you restore her. Have fun! --Mal

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thank you! You guys' homes are very attractive, too! Yes, we've found "Duryea's Starch" box tops in the walls...a small hand-held oil lamp, buttons, round ball and pellet shot, business cards from 1900, an old letter, cloth, a felt carpenter's hat, a brogan shoe under the staircase, knives and forks, parts of old farm implements and more, ha ha! I probably have 2 lbs. of cut nails now...

My wife is a photographer (these are not her pics, lol) and has put together a montage of sorts of the stuff, I will upload a pic when I can have her send it to me while I have time ;) We're trying to find time to meet with the local historical society re. exact construction date and so on.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Cute house!

We also buried our electric service, halfway... It runs above ground to the carriage house and below ground from there to the house.

Ours was quite unsightly and unsafe. All three utilities (electric, phone, and CATV) ran from the pole, over the carriage house roof and through trees to the mast on the corner of the two-story porch at the back of the house. The mast wrapped around the corner and down the other side to the service entrance.

It's not frivolous, it's just a matter of priorities. We did it early in the process because the porch was in rough shape (bottoms of the support columns had rotted away) and we wanted the trench dug before we did the landscaping.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gibson, good to see another old home in the hands of some one who cares. We also buried our electrical as one of the first tasks. Well worth the effort.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Yours is quite nice, too, Gothic! :thumbup: Yes, I think moving the service will be done this summer (depending on how good business is 8-) )

As you can see, there is a view if you are facing the other way (west). Taken last Aug. You can't see the mountains in this shot, they are more to the right across a huge hay field. Yes, it gets very windy here... The power lines are pretty obnoxious when you sit looking out at the view. Old times - they just did what was practical for them at the time.