Kitchen turned Bedroom

Project updates and progress reports
pappster85
Settling in

Kitchen turned Bedroom

Post by pappster85 »

When I bought the home just over a year ago it was decided to move the kitchen into one of the old bedrooms and turn the old kitchen into a bedroom. The old kitchen also had a full bathroom. Being that my home is not all that large it only made sense that the second full bathroom and newly vacant kitchen should become a master suit. Size is not at a surplus in this arrangement but let's face it, the home is 97 years old. In ripping the old kitchen apart it was discovered that the covered porch was swallowed up by an addition that was done in the 1960's and the bathroom that was also added at that time was installed over the top of the old exterior stairwell to the basement. I can't begin to describe the things I had found. My favorite was the poorly installed insulation above the suspended ceiling and the lack of anything between the suspended ceiling and the attic. Is it any wonder that ice dams were such an issue in this area of the home?! I also elected to keep the back door. Some people are not all that fond of a exterior door right into a bedroom. I myself do not mind. In fact, in my line of work I tend to come home quite a mess so it is perfect that I can enter my own room and head right to the shower without making any sort of mess in the rest of the home. As with everything, there are some things I would have changed along the way. In the end I am still pleased with the end result. And that heated bathroom tile floor, best thing ever! :thumbup:

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/pappster85/library/Kitchen%20turned%20Bedroom

Neighmond

Re: Kitchen turned Bedroom

Post by Neighmond »

The pictures tell the tale! There is a lot of nice work done, and I bet your poor old house is just thanking you for it!

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

Great work! Definitely a timeless look and 1000% better than it was before. I haven't tackled anything that big, but when I do I'd be thrilled if it turned out as nice as this.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Pappster, great work, looking at the style and finishing second of your original kitchen it would seem to have been up to date and a fully modern kitchen in the early 60's.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Wow! What an amazing transformation.

Don M

Post by Don M »

wonderful job!