Painting update on my house

Project updates and progress reports
Vala

Painting update on my house

Post by Vala »

Well I actually finished this at the end of June, but kept procrastinating making this long and thorough blog update but it's finally here!

http://weir-residence.blogspot.com/2015 ... iding.html

Enjoy!

Mick_VT

Re: Painting update on my house

Post by Mick_VT »

My paint removal uncovered the 1890-1900 color scheme applied in just the way you describe. Like you I replicated it that way. Neater, cleaner, faster and IMO much more pleasing to the eye.
you cant see it too well here, but that brown paint is only on the face, not the side
you cant see it too well here, but that brown paint is only on the face, not the side
IMG_1525 copy.jpg (206.68 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Mick...

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Hi Vala,

That does look so much better. Have your neighbors said anything to you about what you are doing, removing the siding? I found interesting the beadboard on your eaves. So much detail went into those types of homes.

Because so many homes in my area are older, the local Lowes stocks the beadboard, which is comforting to me, I need to replace a couple of pieces in my interior.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Vala, Thank you for the heads up on the historic way to paint around windows. I have been doing it the hard way and the wrong way!!!

Your painting and siding removal journey reminds me much like my house when I did it. I have to strip the claps off of 2/3 the front of the house because of badly done rennovations by previous owners.

IT looks fantastic. You love your house and it shows... it is a fantastic building!!!
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Wow - SO.MUCH.WORK, Vala.

I am exhausted looking at your blog post. What a lot of hard work you have put into it. It looks very good. I like the grey especially.

I also appreciated your kindness to the bat under the shutter, too.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Mick, thats really cool that you noticed the same thing I did also!

Wackyshack, well I'm glad you and the other folks who weren't in the know about this method can now know about it! I actually re-discovered this method when I was looking under stairs, I saw they reused a corner board from another house and I noticed how it was painted and I decided that I would use this correct, historic method on my house.

lovesickest, thank you very much, I'm glad your enjoying it! I have alot more projects left no fear!

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

I got so excited when the temperatures in my area started to drop below freezing. Now we have this crazy warm spell where I finally got to finish pressure washing the rest of my house last weekend. I really, really want to start pulling the siding but can't until the bees are certainly dead. :( Your house has really given me the "bug" to get this started!!
Last edited by SouthernLady on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Neither way is wrong, if your house was originally painted with it all cut in, then that's how to put it back.
There is no "cut-in police" to enforce it.
The no-cut-in method is definitely faster and cheaper to paint. Easy to change trim colors.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil