lime wash on new lime plaster walls

Project updates and progress reports
kelt65
Stalwart

lime wash on new lime plaster walls

Post by kelt65 »

I will say, this is starting to look fantastic. I was a little concerned at first, never having worked with limewash before. I wasn't sure if I'd end up with the "integrated color" look I wanted. What I've done so far is 4 coats unpigmented, now on 3rd coat pigmented. Haven't started the other room as I made a color mistake and had to order more :roll: :doh:

So it's feel and appearance are very "rustic", but you can sand it lightly (light swiping with 240 and then 800) and get a super fine finish on it; it ends up looking like very highly polished colored plaster. It doesn't look anything like paint. Some people complain it looks powdery or chalky but I think they applied the product incorrectly. With two coats it has a very mottled look, with four+ it's quite even with some slight color variation, which I like. It does take a while to apply; I've been painting in "X" strokes and rewetting/reactivaing it continuously while I paint, sort of like "polishing it with the brush".

This is on the walls I just had rehabbed by a plasterer, he used lime and then gauged lime (with gypsum added) for the final finish. I was worried about that too but it's worked out fine. I will say though, I think the expense was well worth it, and I'd never in a million years consider putting paint on those walls now that I know how nice limewash can look. I've tried some sealers on a few test spots and it looks even better.

Pictures forthcoming ...

lisascenic
Stalwart

Re: lime wash on new lime plaster walls

Post by lisascenic »

Oh my goodness! I'm dying to see your photos.

Please post zillions of pictures, to satisfy my plaster-geek paint-nerd curiosity.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

With the polished look, does it look a bit like Venetian plaster?
Etta says "WOOF"

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

I will! Just that photos just don't get it across. Once I'm done with the next room and do the sealer I'll post some pics. Also the phone can't possibly do it justice, I have to dig up my old camera and take some hi-res close ups.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

SkipW wrote:With the polished look, does it look a bit like Venetian plaster?

No, not really. Keep in mind Venetian plaster is similar but has a lot of marble dust in it so that it burnishes up very shiny and is meant to look like marble. It's very nice but it isn't always the look you want, sometimes you want something more plain and simple. Unless I'm touching a drywall patch, it feels like the wall is made of polished stone, it is so hard and solid feeling. It's so pretty and feels wonderful.

I've been using Vasari's products so far and am quite impressed. It occurred to me I could pour most of the water from the limewash and simply trowel it on (it arrives completely separated). I think I will give that a try next time.

I tried some 511 sealer on a spot and it's like nothing I've ever seen. So pretty!

Ober51

Post by Ober51 »

Pics?

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Ober51 wrote:Pics?

I'll have some soon. My phone camera isn't able to get good closeups.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

OK, I am not even remotely finished, but here's a few pics

There's going to be a few more coats, a lighter grey and a light blue, sanded for effect so that only little bits of blue show through. The chimney will be plastered instead, maybe even burnished.
There's going to be a few more coats, a lighter grey and a light blue, sanded for effect so that only little bits of blue show through. The chimney will be plastered instead, maybe even burnished.
room1.jpg (216.66 KiB) Viewed 1395 times

Second parlor room. The upper half of the walls has three coats, the bottom, two. You can tell the difference in "mottling". I've decided this color is too dark and am going over it.
Second parlor room. The upper half of the walls has three coats, the bottom, two. You can tell the difference in "mottling". I've decided this color is too dark and am going over it.
room2.jpg (210.58 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
This is grey over blue, then sanded with 800g and sealed with a masonry sealer. You can see brush marks, but it feels like polished concrete.
This is grey over blue, then sanded with 800g and sealed with a masonry sealer. You can see brush marks, but it feels like polished concrete.
limewash_sealed.jpg (301.97 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
This is me fooling around with burnished off white venetian plaster with gold flakes.
This is me fooling around with burnished off white venetian plaster with gold flakes.
venetian-gold.jpg (480.85 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Attachments
Playing around with lapis powder and off white plaster. This doesn't work well.
Playing around with lapis powder and off white plaster. This doesn't work well.
lapis.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 1395 times

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Oh, that is very pretty! I actually like all three. Makes me want to touch it. Please post pictures when the room is done.
Thanks,
Diane

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I agree with Powermuffin, they are all really nice!