1830s Stone Farmhouse: Progress!

Project updates and progress reports
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

1830s Stone Farmhouse: Progress!

Post by WildGeeseLn »

I know everyone is recommending living with the house a year or so before digging into it, but unfortunately with no electricity, pluming, water or heating there is no living in my house at all ;) The real hurry, however, is that if it isn't "livable" by December, I won't have insurance anymore! The past two weeks, it has actually started to feel possible to be living in at least a couple rooms by then...maybe just without a kitchen (good thing mom and dad are 2 miles away....). My dad is wiring the house, heating/air vents are in, and pluming should start soon.

New windows finally arrived, which was holding up starting on the roof and replacing the gable shingles. I decided to live on the wild side and go with red and brown windows. The gable end windows are replacements (I will paint the white ones on the first floor)

1.jpg
1.jpg (263.12 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

6.jpg
6.jpg (388.82 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

I am painting the front windows until I can afford custom wooden windows. The white trim you see will be brown (inspired by Sagamore in the Great Camp in the Adirondacks). I just pulled the aluminum framing from the vinyl windows to expose the original wood frame, and (don't judge me!) those mutins are fake...painted on to make it look like 4 over 4. It was a crazy experiment and sounds tasteless, but it actually doesn't look too bad, even up close.
5.jpg
5.jpg (334.58 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

My awesome mason also figured out how to tackle something that was really intimidating. To connect the 1950s addition to the original house, the PO basically took a sledge hammer to the exterior wall and then cased it in with a door. When we removed the door, we discovered that there was literally just a jagged hole in the wall and these huge stones were just barely hanging on in the doorway. Fitting stone back in would have been extremely costly, difficult and labor intensive. We decided to use up the leftover original bricks (used the rest to restore the original fireplace from which they were removed) and brick in the jagged edge to make a smooth edge, thus supporting the existing stones. He also mixed in a few stones to create a less jarring look.

We also had to fill in the old exterior window (which is now interior)to use it to hide new duct work (on the right of the photo). My mason used a different mortar spacing so that we could still "see" the old window rather than blend it into the existing wall completely.
8.jpg
8.jpg (362.91 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

From the 1950s addition looking at the old exterior wall into the old part of the house. You can see the jagged stone edge on the right, with new brickwork filled in. They had to do the same downstairs.
On the left, the column is short because that is actually part of the original window, so I left the "window" open into the new doorway. Since I took the photo, he has also filled in above the new header in the doorway.

7.jpg
7.jpg (324.84 KiB) Viewed 1041 times

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Re: 1830s Stone Farmhouse: Progress!

Post by Ober51 »

Awesome! Love the stone. How long was it abandoned? Or was it?

WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Ober51 wrote:Awesome! Love the stone. How long was it abandoned? Or was it?

Ober 51, it now looks like it was abandoned (because we took it back to its bones), but it was actually only a year since the former owner passed and I purchased it. However, it was VERY 1950s and she was a bit of a hoarder, so it really wasn't very livable to start with. Here are some before pictures for you :)

This is the same room, the 1950s addition, and the doorway just a bit visible on the right of the photo is the same doorway that is now the shorter stone wall with the "window" opening. Once that drop ceiling was removed the whole room opened up. I added a dormer (just to be able to lift furniture to the second floor, since the stairs are narrow and curved) and replaced the big horizontal window with two windows to match the gable of the historic part of the house.
b.jpg
b.jpg (137.23 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

a.jpg
a.jpg (141.54 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

and a few other rooms in the house....I'll have to post some progress photos of these rooms soon!
Attachments
e.jpg
e.jpg (157.47 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
d.jpg
d.jpg (147.43 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Very nice!!!!

The only part I don't get is why youd lose insurance coverage without plumbing, electrical, etc. Seems to me that without those things, there's less to go wrong and therefore less likelihood of you filing a claim. Seems to me that insurance cos would like that....?

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Wow, cool project and looks like you plan on making it very nice. Love the property too. Hope you update a lot so we can live vicariously through the photos.
Etta says "WOOF"

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Wildgreen, I think the brick fill on the old stone wall looks fantastic. Adds to the charm of the home and will define two distinct periods of history of the home. The 1950's addition and the 2015's update. As for your painted mullions, from the road no one can tell the difference.

Don M

Post by Don M »

You are making good progress on the recreation of your stone house. Very nice work. :thumbup: