Opening up the Eaves out of Necessity - Critters!

Project updates and progress reports
Sara
Been here a while

Re: Opening up the Eaves out of Necessity - Critters!

Post by Sara »

It still feels like a whole lot of work - even without huge repairs to be made! Yikes, Wackyshack.

I only got about 1/10th scraped/primed/painted before the first freeze came so making it actually look good and getting rid of all the chipping paint will be my project for the spring. Who doesn't love a good springtime spent on the roof. ;)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

might not work with some rodents but for coons and stuff don't underestimate the power of a ghetto blaster , cheap simple, easy, it won't fill points of entry but with some bothersome beasts just getting them to move out is what is really needed. with the right choice of music it might even work with those 28 year old children in moms basement ;-)

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

We also have major eave issues. Critters come with the territory around here. I
had a squirrel in my dining room the other day. Never did find out where he came from. Found a good solution to bats in the attic though. We bought sonic boxes that keep them from sleeping. Not cheap, and it took four due to the size/shape of our attic. Now the only one we see are the occasional one who comes down the fireplace chimney. ( no damper)
Today is my happily ever after.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Ireland House wrote:We also have major eave issues. Critters come with the territory around here. I
had a squirrel in my dining room the other day. Never did find out where he came from. Found a good solution to bats in the attic though. We bought sonic boxes that keep them from sleeping. Not cheap, and it took four due to the size/shape of our attic. Now the only one we see are the occasional one who comes down the fireplace chimney. ( no damper)

Our bats live in our barn; I have chimney caps on the chimneys---keeps out weather & critters!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

It's funny that a squirrel would cause you to strip your soffits. I bet he's in a nearby tree laughing at the human on the ladder and planning some cruel and vindictive act ;-)

my neighbor who is a renovation contractor said all my soffits are missing. I just smiled and shrugged.

sticking a transistor radio in a nest is a great way to make them move on. It probably won't work for bats but I think it is a much easier way of dealing with raccoons, skunks etc. easy to try anyway. It might work if the squirrel plans another attack ;-)

I had a problem with pidgeons for a time. nearby neighbor had a nest and thought it was so cute that he was chosen by them. within a year he had nests all over and I was out every day fighting their nest building with my garden hose. they loved to perch on the corner brackets and poop on the doorstep..

no matter how much I bugged and sprayed them they just kept on trying. so I took a piece of arborite about 4 inches wide. I wrapped a strip of alunimum around the two edges and attached a cord. stuck that thing out on the bracket above the doorstep.
Well the pidgeon continued to sit on it. their feet are insulated pretty well I guess. so I got out there with a spray bottle. He was enjoying his shower and obviously made contact as he took off all in a flurry.
He still came back but I kept chasing him off the perch and somehow that one got the idea. finally my neighbor hired an exterminator.
I had them perching on my front brackets too. I stuck a plastic bag containing rags soaked in some really old bolt loosener. the stuff stinks. that seemed to work.

the exterminator put a lot of the "spikey things" on his house . I made some of my own from wire mesh to mess up the perch. Now I just have crows. the pigeons and crows are territorial so I guess you have one or the other. I like the crows. I like pigeons too but they make a real mess of your house if they colonize it.

now the crows turned my lawn all over and completely wrecked it looking for bugs. I think they want me to seed the lawn so they can get the seeds ;-) they are smart and plotting against me.

one day I left the window open and the cat went on the roof to chase the crows. wow they ganged up on her instantly and got pretty agressive. the cat ducked under a little roof where they couldn't get her. I try not to leave that woindow open now. and the crows don't seem to run on my roof as much.