Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by eclecticcottage »

Oh I do hate to see that floor (asbestos likely). I had a darker green version at the Bungalow, in a bedroom which was converted to a mini-kitchen. The sink from that room is dated in the mid 60's, so I think it's a long term patter that might be hard to date. Actually, I think you can still buy tile that looks like that. Hopefully asbestos free :lol:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ya, it's what happens to kitchens in 140 years. Only two layers of flooring though to deal with, compared to others in the district I get off lucky.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Onward progress on the kitchen floor project. Started lifting the tiles today. I feel I got extremely lucky with this floor. Between the tiles and the floor they had a thick paper board layer, there to even out the floor for the tiles. This proved very advantageous for removal, the tiles were stuck down with the black mastic (that we've all come to hate) onto the paper board. I found I could get under the tiles with my scraper with ease and pull the tiles up one by one with no fuss. Bonus! I also found, just soaking the remaining paper with a soaked towel I could remove the paper also with ease, and now if I wasn't lucky enough on this project, the paper board was glued down with a what appears to be a clay based glue. And it's water soluble. Just cleans off the floor with a wet cloth followed by a dry wipe.
IMG_0265.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 367 times

This a pic of the area I was working on. It shows the tile, paper, and original floor.
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 367 times

If you look just beside the table leg, you can see what the floor looks like after washing off the clay glue.
Sorry for the lack of glamour pics, be patient, glamour picks very soon.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Wow - that is great luck - no mastic on the floorboards ! Are the boards wide pine ?

Don M

Post by Don M »

That is excellent luck! Coming along nicely.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Hurra for good luck!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gothichome wrote:
Gothichome wrote:Well I promised to keep you updated on the progress at Gothichome.
IMG_0229.JPG
Skim coat on the new project room this morning.

Hopefully I will get it sanded by the end of the day. Next week, sealer and primer.

Folks another update. A before the after but after the defore picture.
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG

All the trim has been painted and the walls washed. While waiting on the wallpaper to show up. I'll do some clean up. Sanding dust gets every were. All that you see other than the ceiling is original plaster.

Ok, the glamour pics, the wall paper is up.
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 342 times

IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 342 times

All that's left is to do some detailing on the floor and put it back together. Oh, and find an appropriate two shade light.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Looks fabulous!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Awesome job GH! Where was the wallpaper from?
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

It looks like nothing ever happened to that room. Like the paper and paint could be original, but fresh. That is the kind of home improvement I love. I know the huge amount of work you had to do to get there, though - I am not understating that.

Very good, appropriate wallpaper choice, with a nice range of colors to pull elements from when you decorate.