Gothichome, the restoration of.

Project updates and progress reports
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by phil »

the ceiling looks great! what color will you paint it?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ober, Phill, thanks I think it came out pretty good. That colour is going to stay. It's the BM Regal paint in flat base. Chose the colour from thier historic palette, we don't want to go plaster white to simulate plaster, we thought it would then look like it needed a ceiling paper. So we went with that slightly off white(can't recall the colour name at all his moment) we found some original ceiling paper and it was a realy light white colour. What we chose is not a direct match but it pleased us both.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Selecting what pleases is the best!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

ceiling paper sounds interesting. Is that like special wallpaper just designed for ceilings? I guess it would be possible to have a sort of 3D pattern that simulated a tin ceiling?
Im finishing up with my living room drywall and trying to sort out what it should look like with regards to colors and I think I'm missing that fashion sense gene that some people find so natural.
In a couple of rooms I had picked a color I liked from Benjamin Moore and then just had them add a small percentage of the wall color to the ceiling color. I liked the effect. its really not noticible, the ceilings appear as "white" but you don't see the same contrast where the walls meet the ceiling. Ive just gone to using the kitchen and bath paint throughout as I like the sheen. If I do a fussy job of the filling it looks smooth and that sort of separates it from the kind of stippled ceiling paint you see in most newer homes where they use the paint stipple to cover drywall ripples and such. so I first use a longer nap roller to create stipple , then prime wiht that , then skim coat ( everywhere) and fill the stipple, then prime again and paint with a shorter nap roller. it kind of gives the effect of oil paint.

In my attic I tried oil paint and used a short nap roller and a brush, the roller to roll it out and the brush to knock down the stipple. it worked quite well but that sort of paint might not even be available now. the kitchen and bath stuff is easy to get and more washable.

Phil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, I don't believe it was any thing special (ceiling paper) it was just a way to change the look of a ceiling from plaster white. It was just some thing that was done as normal procedure in decorating a room.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Phill, I don't believe it was any thing special (ceiling paper) it was just a way to change the look of a ceiling from plaster white. It was just some thing that was done as normal procedure in decorating a room.

That is my understanding too - though I think some prints were intended specifically for the ceiling. I have hung ceiling paper... good workout!
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I believe you are correct Mick, like the wall paper I am sure you could of had a matching ceiling paper. As far as it being a work out, I have no intension of confirming your observations. Oh, got the wall paper the other day, so nothing left to do but size the walls and start hanging.

Don M

Post by Don M »

The Victorians took really exotic ceiling papers to a whole new level!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

They certainly did. I think the start of fancy ceiling papers are attributable to Pugin and Talbert (edit: should be John Ruskin, not Talbert) and the rise of Gothic revival houses let's say circa1850. Pugin I think started the whole thing by introducing bold a fanciful colours to his church interiors. Parishioners seeing the change in what once rather stoic church interiors started doing the same in thier new 'modern' gothic revival homes. Of course I would think the humble gothic cottage of the up coming middle classes would have less. But the wealthy would have had it all, but the fancyness would mostly be in paint. With the rise of the industrial revelution and the ability to print wall papers on mass, the middle class could now afford to emulate thier wealthy neighbors, not in paint with artisan skills but with cheap printed papers. Each of the various revival home styles had there own interpretation of ceiling decoration, but I think the rise of the Aestic movement (1880'sh) let the imagination and the ceiling designers run riot with ceiling papers. I think by the time what I would consider Queen Anne homes (1900'sh) were being built the fashion of over a the top ceiling papers, and wall papers for that matter were on the wain, rather quickly turning into the more subdued arts and crafts or Art Nuevo papers.
Thoughts?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, since the current project room is almost finished, time to start another. No rest for the wicked. We decided to do the kitchen next. I pulled the first layer off the other day, the sixties faux parquet vinyl, it was probably realy expensive stuff back then. This is what I found, square tile floor.
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 384 times

IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 384 times

IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 384 times

Don't know when this was put down but in my head, from the style of the pattern I think any were from the fourties to late fifties, any hints. Also, found this, a section of the original floor.
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 384 times

There must have been some thing of a permanent nature in this corner at the time or at the least some thing far too heavy to move because they tiled around it. This also indicates that floor was originally stained, let's hope.