Craftsman Kitchen Renovation Beginnings

Project updates and progress reports
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Craftsman Kitchen Renovation Beginnings

Post by phil »

maybe it was techron that invented the self starting mechanism.

I have some interesting old ones. Just last week I pulled one out, a funky eames era sort of thing . plugged it in and it ran backwards! tried again and it went forwards. it grumbled a bit so I opted not to try to use it until It can be re-lubed

Ive taken some apart from the little 50's clock radios and repaired them. they have this little copper can with a gear on it , its sealed up and has no wiring to it.. the copper can is near an electromagnetic so I guess the frequency of the power pulse drives whats inside of the can. its quite ingenious.

I took apart an older one from a westinghouse columair clock radio 1929
that one was similar but no copper can so I could see how the synchronous motor worked. I found it fascinating and would be hard to explain but the frequency pulses sort of act upon serrated ridges and drive the clock , the ridges are such that the 60 cycle power pulses act upon the ridges. there was another gear sort of loosely attached with springs. that one has a little lever on the face so when you plug it in it does not move then you flick the little lever and that pushes it in the right direction.

I have another Westinghouse Columair about the same vintage with a sort of similar clock , it has a mechanism that makes the second hand move in increments of one second.
it might have the red flag thing, I sort of forget. I think it has sort of a pendulum or something so if the power is interrupted for a short time it is able to start itself from its own pendulum. By design, a minor power interruption wont stop it but a longer one will mark the time the fridge went off. power interruptions were a lot more frequent back then I guess.

Id like to find the right oil to use. I have things like wd 40 and 3 in one oil but there are probably more suitable lubricants for clocks.

once they work right if they are lubed and not completely worn out these clocks are so reliable and accurate. by comparison I have a battery clock at work and it needs new batteries quite often maybe every 6 months, the cost adds up.

I bought one of those TV top ships clocks with the chrome flags about a year ago. the thing runs perfectly and that one is quiet.

I have a variety of wind up clocks. one I pulled out recently and wound up was of a material like abalony but it is a early plastic , it seemed to run fast. that sort of pastic shrinks so a lot of stuff made from it got broken. Its acetate I think.

I have some of the mantle clocks , some with westminster chimes and others wioth less chimes.. and a ship clock that makes a contact, it was incorporated with some sort of mechanism a sort of water speed sensor like a prop I assume.. to check the ships speed.. that one is very loud but excellent quality and I think its an 8 day cock.. so if I wind that one I'm really in trouble ;-)
I always look for stuff relating to radios ,, I found a neat philco one that has a "radio plug" you plug in your "philco" radio into the clock then it turns the radio on at the set time.
Ive got a couple of clocks that are very early electric clocks with digital displays, like with the little flags that drop that were often used in 70's bedside clocks but earlier.
I think I got off on a tangent.. collecting is a slippery slope.
my latest find . last weekend, is a crystal radio with headphones from about 1930. the top and knobs and antenna connections look like they are commercially made. inside the coils are made up of fairly thick wire and coated with hoof glue. it has a galena crystal and a catwisker. some of the inner parts were made of a cigar box and I researched that and I think it was from about 1930.. the thing has neat graphics. I think they liked the graphics of this big fat man on the box so they made it part of the frame that holds the coils. maybe someone in the depression made it I thought perhaps people were doing a sort of sideline business producing them because they seem professional enough to look like the person knew cabinetry but primitive enough that they dont exactly seem factory made. this one had rounded corner bead inside the box used as corner blocking. a factory would have used triangular shaped pieces, So the corner molding must have been a scrap they had around. , the person was being resourceful. I find it interesting to examine them and note how people went to so much work to make them nice.
the box for this crystal set has a design that is Japanese with a sort of stork like bird on three sides. black lacquer with gold colored design work , its quite nice. I dont know if the box is from some other source, maybe it started life as a jewlery box or something. it has no printing or words on it.

in the 30's when a lot were not working I guess some made making a radio a fascinating hobby to keep busy so the work they left is interesting to look at and at the same time to try to put the time it was made into perspective around the item sort of adds to the experience of opening up the little time capsules to have a peek.
The collector is downsizing due to age, that's often the story. he tried it and it works I just need a longwire antenna to test it. he threw in some old headphones, crystal sets make very little power so you need to use old headphones with high impedance or an ear plug. I paid 25 bucks for another little piece of history. Ill probably use it to collect dust until the time comes for it to be on someone else's shelf. Ill try to get a pic posted int he antiques section.
last week I rejoined the SPARC museum. they have a nice display, the place is suitably located on the grounds of the former mental institute grounds. the place is really quite creepy and interesting with all sorts of old buildings some with bars on the windows.. some of the members are quite old but still able to pass info along and I should really spend more time up there learning from them. they have a pic of a 1952 clock on the website. they have a nice big display room and they feature a lot of the stuff that I like to collect.
https://sparcradio.ca/

https://sparcradio.ca/wp-content/upload ... Repair.pdf

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Manalto wrote:
nhguy wrote:My mother worked a Telechron Clock Company that made those electric clocks with a little red dot that was exposed when the power went out. I have two of them one in my shop, from the late 1930's. It was originally a kitchen clock, probably in my grandmothers house. Everyone in Ashland MA had one of Henry Warren's Telechron Clocks. Again thanks for your ideas as always.

Those clocks were well made. They hold up well and I'm told they can even be repaired.

There are companies that sell rebuilt motors for them. I had to replace one in the kitchen clock model from 1938. I think it was around $30 from a company in Oregon.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

This digital Telechron is a favorite of mine:

I got this clock for my kitchen.

It's similar to the one in MoMA but the numbers are different and, IMHO, more attractive (I like the 2). Because of the stormy conditions in the upper Gulf Coast, we lose electricity pretty regularly, so this is wind up. :crazy: It's made of ceramic or porcelain. 1950s but not screamingly so. German.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

The house my mother grew up in is right across the road from the Telechron plant. She worked as a secretary there from 1939 until 1958 when my brother was born. I have a GE light up nightstand clock made in Ashland in a box in my attic. Those are some good looking examples you have. I especially like the bottom one. When we renovate the kitchen I will move the kitchen clock from my shop back to our new kitchen. I'll get the electrician to wire in a wall outlet for it.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

GinaC wrote:Willa, that's gorgeous! I love what you did with the floors! It really adds some nice color.

I'm in the planning stage for my kitchen, but I'm not changing my layout save for moving the stove over 6" so I can use one of the drawers without having to open the oven. :roll: When I first looked at the house, I thought, "Who does this?" Then I found out that the current owner did all the work himself. His work isn't bad, but he has no design sense whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about ordering RTA cabinets from Barker. http://www.barkercabinets.com They are custom made and apparently good quality. The savings comes because you have to measure and plan and order them yourself, and of course put them together and install them.

Gina, I have used Barker for two kitchens, and I have been very satisfied with them. I've only ordered cabinet doors, drawer fronts and drawer boxes from them, because I built my own cabinet boxes. They are very easy to build,especially if you have a local shop that will cut your plywood pieces to size.

I just ordered the cabinet pieces for my sister's kitchen reno, and one drawer box dovetail--they are all dovetailed--was cut slightly wrong. I sent them a picture and they sent a replacement right out. If you do decide to build your own, I recommend not ordering the doors and drawer components until you have completely assembled the boxes and put the face frames on. Much easier to measure a space that already exists than one that exists only on paper or in your head! It takes a little longer because of the lead time, but you'll have plenty to do while you're waiting.

I know this is a hijack of your post, NHguy, but maybe it's helpful to you, too. Here are the cabinets I built for my reno. These go all the way to the 9-foot ceilings, Gina.

Bonnie

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

awomanwithahammer wrote:
GinaC wrote:Willa, that's gorgeous! I love what you did with the floors! It really adds some nice color.

I'm in the planning stage for my kitchen, but I'm not changing my layout save for moving the stove over 6" so I can use one of the drawers without having to open the oven. :roll: When I first looked at the house, I thought, "Who does this?" Then I found out that the current owner did all the work himself. His work isn't bad, but he has no design sense whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about ordering RTA cabinets from Barker. http://www.barkercabinets.com They are custom made and apparently good quality. The savings comes because you have to measure and plan and order them yourself, and of course put them together and install them.

Gina, I have used Barker for two kitchens, and I have been very satisfied with them. I've only ordered cabinet doors, drawer fronts and drawer boxes from them, because I built my own cabinet boxes. They are very easy to build,especially if you have a local shop that will cut your plywood pieces to size.

I just ordered the cabinet pieces for my sister's kitchen reno, and one drawer box dovetail--they are all dovetailed--was cut slightly wrong. I sent them a picture and they sent a replacement right out. If you do decide to build your own, I recommend not ordering the doors and drawer components until you have completely assembled the boxes and put the face frames on. Much easier to measure a space that already exists than one that exists only on paper or in your head! It takes a little longer because of the lead time, but you'll have plenty to do while you're waiting.

I know this is a hijack of your post, NHguy, but maybe it's helpful to you, too. Here are the cabinets I built for my reno. These go all the way to the 9-foot ceilings, Gina.

Hijack away. That's what makes this site a great resource, it's the great ideas passed about by everyone. I looked at Barker also as a possible cabinet choice. I found the name on Houzz in the kitchen forum.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh wow, Bonnie, that looks so good! Thank you for the advice on building the cabinets. I've been putting the whole thing off because I am nervous about the cabinet configuration since the previous owner did it wrong.

Did you order the doors finished or do them yourself? I want to order unfinished because I want the bottom cabinets to be duck egg blue, and Barker's colors are very limited.
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

GinaC wrote:Oh wow, Bonnie, that looks so good! Thank you for the advice on building the cabinets. I've been putting the whole thing off because I am nervous about the cabinet configuration since the previous owner did it wrong.

Did you order the doors finished or do them yourself? I want to order unfinished because I want the bottom cabinets to be duck egg blue, and Barker's colors are very limited.

Thank you! I ordered them unfinished and painted them myself, and did the same for my sister's. She painted them what I would say is very similar to duck egg blue. This is her kitchen in progress:

When you do your layout, be very careful about corners. If you don't do a lazy Susan cabinet--I don't personally like them, I prefer blind cabinets--you have to make sure to leave enough room for abutting drawer and door pulls. You don't want to have a situation, as I did, where you can't open one because it bumps into another one. Or, in my sister's kitchen, she'll have to open the dishwasher to open the drawer next to it, because I didn't know her dishwasher had a protruding handle. Not that big a deal in the long run, but aggravating nonetheless.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I was able to pay for the used machinery I needed with the difference in cost. in my case I really loved the process and hope to make more and now I can do whatever I can imagine pretty much. Its a labor of love so if you don't like doing it or if it is a chore it might not be for everyone.

If you build them of sheet goods than it's way less work. If you don't really care to make boxes, then the boxes you glue together out of the box are probably a good option. If you build them all by yourself then there is more time involved and some learning. I'd have a hard time thinking of boxes with a full overlay of the doors made of sheet goods as being traditional by any means.. I know they coin them "craftsman style doors " and such but that's a just a sales tactic.
I think what is most important is that people are doing it the way that fits all these decisions best for their particular situation. That won't be the same for everyone and the arguments about it can cause divorce ;-)

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

"That won't be the same for everyone and the arguments about it can cause divorce ;-)" Phil, as we move along with the kitchen design and renovation I'll keep you up to date with any lawyer consultations. Thus far my wife has been patient with the many years of renovations. This, however, is the first kitchen renovation I think it'll be a fun yet somewhat challenging process. All well worth the time, energy and investment in the end. A week from tomorrow we see the first two designs the cabinet/furniture design company has to present.