Removing trim to rehab walls ...

Project updates and progress reports
Vala

Re: Removing trim to rehab walls ...

Post by Vala »

kelt65 wrote:
Don M wrote:The plaster on the exterior stone walls of our 1830s farmhouse is applied directly to the stone with out lath. The interior walls are built on the floor boards which pass under them.

Yeah I would think so. They only used lime back then, and it's the perfect thing for covering masonry. Portland cement ruined EVERYTHING.

I LOATHE portland cement. why did it ever take over? was it just cheaper or what? Sad to think lime mortar was used since the time of the ancient egyptians until about 1930...

phil wrote:My baseboards were installed after the bulk of the plaster, with a skim coat of colored plaster that went on after. I am pretty sure the baseboards were done while the plaster was still a bit wet. I assume it is easier as the plaster would squish down a bit that way but I'm not sure how long it took to plaster or what the drying time of it was. I assumed they did that to contend with any warpage of the baseboard lumber. if it wasn't dead straight , the plaster compensated a little or they hid any gaps in the skimcoating.

If I pull the baseboards there is plaster behind them but it is rough.

My baseboards are installed over lathe, but the plaster only goes down to where the baseboards are.

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Looks more and more our house was plastered prior to the trim/moldings being installed.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Vala wrote:I LOATHE portland cement. why did it ever take over? was it just cheaper or what? Sad to think lime mortar was used since the time of the ancient Egyptians until about 1930...

I believe it is significantly cheaper, not in small part because I believe the cement industry incorporates waste from many other industries in producing cement. Lime is cheap but when it comes to building highways and what not the cost would be exorbitant, and I doubt it's strong enough. Portland cement can also cure underwater, and has other useful qualities. I believe the Romans also had an underwater cement recipe but I think it was lost.

The issue mainly with it is that it's water proof whereas lime is permeable. So one ruins the other. Of course maintaining a permeable substance seems a LOT easier, vapor proofing buildings is something that must be periodically redone, but it usually means the entire building is disposable. I see a LOT of cracked modern masonry and stucco, some not even 10 years old.

I'm terrified to have any re-pointing done (and the piers are in need of attention) on my house as so few contractors actually know their trade beyond the one or two products they use.

http://digginginthedriftless.com/2012/0 ... nd-cement/

http://stonehengemasonry.ca/lime-vs-por ... is-better/