Don M

Re: Gothichome, the restoration of.

Post by Don M »

Looks terrific!

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

I love those shingles - that looks fantastic. There is just something that kind of "fits" right with that shape on a historic home. Are they much more expensive than a traditional square shape?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ya, they are a premium shingle and a corresponding premium price. The roofers tell me it's the first time they have installed them. They came up from the states on a special order. Not a regular stocked shingle in our area, or even Canada it would seem. The roofers tell me we have a 13/12 pitch not a 12/12 that we've all thought. Guess some one actually had to go up and get a measurement. Also I am paying a premium to get guys up there as well. I had six calls out for quotes, three responded only one gave me a quote. The rest I can only assume wanted nothing to do with a high pitched roof at such a tall hight.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote: wanted nothing to do with a high pitched roof at such a tall hight.

It's looking great... I must say though, you would not get me up there for all the tea in china!
Mick...

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Wow! The shingles look gorgeous. What a great choice.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks, I too believe we have made the right choice. On a chat with a neighbour he recalls the original slate roof was similar in style and colour. Maybe it's what the old girl wanted. If you believe in those sort of things.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gothichome wrote:Well, been trying to get to my major project this trip. The chimney

The weather has not been co operating, boesn't look like I'm going to get three good days in a row this trip.
The chimney is in worse shape than I was expecting. Looks like the best I can get done is to stabilize. The top four rows of brick are loose, realy loose, and the chimney cap cracked. Managed to get enough good weather to secure those four courses and get them solid. Also rebuilt the cap and install an anti pest screen over the chimney flu's. The major reprointing will have to Waite for another trip.

Managed to get on the roof today, got one side of the chimney secured and tight. Still got to get the pointing finished and looking pretty but it'll be there for another 150 years now. I'll get to the other side another day. Nothing worthy of a new pic, sorry about that.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Wow, those shingles really set off your lovely home.

I am curious--were your chimneys already lined when you purchased your house? I have about eight bricks on my dining room chimney that have cracked from multiple chimney fires over the years that will have to be replaced. I found where I can order a stainless steel liner kit for just under $1,000 and I am considering doing it myself with a contractor-friend and a "cherry picker" truck late fall, if my budget permits. I was wondering what chimney liner system GothicHome might have.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, none of our chimneys are functional. Out of our four flues one is used for the water heater and has a liner, rest have long since been abandoned. I'm affraid, and unless I win a lottery they will remain that way.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Wow. Yes, it is quite expensive. Have you looked into the stainless steel liners as an option?