Hello from Montana

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Hello from Montana

Post by Bungalove »

Hi, thanks to Kelly from OldHouseDreams.com for telling me about this site. My husband and I just bought a 1916 Craftsman in NW Montana and are very excited about owning an old home again after living in newer, soul-less places for the last 13 years.

Our home will be a lot of work -- almost every square inch of wood trim is covered with multiple layers of paint, mostly glossy white. All the floors are covered with various crap such as dirty carpet and cheap vinyl. We don't know yet what shape the wood floors are in but we'll restore them if possible. The roof needs replacing.... you get the idea. The place has been a rental for a long time with the usual accompaniment of people who didn't care what happened to it.

We feel the house wants to be taken care of. Know the feeling? Thanks for letting me post.

Neighmond

Re: Hello from Montana

Post by Neighmond »

alooha! Please.....post all you like, especially pictures!

Cheers!
Chaz

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well Bungalove, welcome to Wavyglass, old home insanity is considered sane here. I must warn you though pictures are a definite must. We have a large contingent of 20th century craftsman home owners on the site and all have a lot to offer for info, or are more than willing to pick your brain should the need arise. once again welcome.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome, we look forward to hearing & seeing much more from you! :D

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the windows! you didn't mention the windows! i'm cringing til i hear your response....

oh and welcome to our lovely little community!

...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Welcome and please post pics. We all love looking at them.

hamilton (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by hamilton (WavyGlass) »

Hi - we are in the process of rebuilding a Victorian built in 1910, in Hamilton. I'm sure there are many stories/stuff learned, that we can share...

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Hi! Here's hoping on the floors hiding below! (and do please post your experiences with taking that paint off. I'm still living in fear of the process)

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Jade, I regret to inform you that almost all the windows on the first floor have been replaced with cheap crap. The biggest windows are now those horrible vinyl things with the grids between two panes of glass.

There was an addition made to the back of the house in the late '80s or early '90s of an additional bedroom and a bathroom, and this addition has no style whatsoever. In researching the house, I found that an elderly couple lived here for 30 years, from about 1970-2000, and I suspect they had the addition built because they didn't want to have to keep going up and down the stairs to the only bathroom.

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Update: Since buying our home in June, we've done a lot of work and had a lot done by others. In October we got a new roof, and the roofers had to remove **three** layers of old stuff, two of wood shingles and one of metal. It was a mess.

Other things: new water heater, refrigerator, kitchen stove/oven, overhead vent for stove, toilets, lots of insulation in the unusable attic space, removal of cheepcheep white particleboard wainscoting in the living and dining rooms, lots of new paint both inside and out, removal of cheap built-in wall of bookshelves painted glossy white in the living room.

Also, we pulled up the carpet in the small entryway coat closet and found real linoleum which was sadly beyond restoration, but we replaced it with more real lino (Marmoleum brand) in a color that was very, very close.

So much still to do -- the kitchen (floors, paint, cabinets, hardware, sink, countertops), one bathroom, our bedroom, lots more painting. Plus, as mentioned in another thread here, we have a 12' x 12' garden shed that I'm going to turn into a hangout this spring or summer. Maybe. If there's time.

Happy New Year!