The long road back

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
2ndline
Settling in

The long road back

Post by 2ndline »

I put some pics of our place on OHW awhile back, but I guess I will restart here as I have updates to add.

We were lucky enough to purchase our "dream home" in September 2009. It's a good thing I had no idea what we were getting into when we bought it. The farm had been in the same family from the 1830's until 1988, and the second owner had it until we bought it. We have been lucky enough to build relationships with the the previous owner and the family that had it all the years before.

Circa 1920

This pic was taken after the silo was built in the 1940's

The lot was originally granted in 1818 and was held as part of the clergy reserve. In early Ontario 1/7th of the land in the province was held as clergy reserve. It changed hands in 1821 and then again in the late 1830's when when it was bought by the family who built the house and had it until 1988. The back was built first and the front added in 1856. The Jarvis family was fairly prominent in the early history of the township and had family political connections as well,they were able to build a fine stone home.

There are/were a number of similar homes in the area. I have been in a couple of them and the interiors of the others typically have more detail, but the trim work is much smaller. The designer of this house went for massive trim work, and 11' ceilings upstairs and down. even the basement is 7' under the joists. The baseboards are 16" high and start off 2" thick at the bottom. Sadly the owner passed away only 4 years after the house was finished at age 54 and it was left to his widow. The front parlor is a good size,(15'x32') and in the old days people came from miles away to attend dances held there.

Modern comforts took a long time to reach the rural countryside in this area. While the small farm town 5 miles to the north had electricity starting around 1905, it didn't reach the area farms until starting in 1931 and was installed here in 1935. Indoor plumbing had to wait until 1954

Around 1960 the two brothers (4th generation)that had purchased the farm from their father sold 196 of the 200 acre farm to speculators, keeping the house and retired from farming. The brothers were lifelong bachelors and while they didn't neglect the house, upgrades and upkeep were not quite top of the list. Pretty typical for these older farmhouses.

In 1988 the neighbor down the road convinced the brothers to sell and they moved away. The new owner put a ton of work and money into the well worn home. New electrical service, new plumbing, repaired all the walls in the front part of the house, new heating system, new cistern, new septic system, re-pointed the front half of the house, new roof, parged the foundation, and added a new closed in porch that will withstand an atomic bomb. This is the only thing that I would have done differently. I mean, it's well built, but doesn't fit with the rest of the house style-wise, down the road I may stucco or stone veneer the porch, we will have to wait until the budget is capable of supporting the idea.

In 2008 a friend of the owner wanted desperately to buy the house so a deal was reached, only to fall through on the closing date. Problem was the owner had already bought a new house and moved into it, mostly. The owner was a "collector" and had a lot of his collection still here. The house was empty, but outside and in the barns held many treasures. Eventually I would buy a few of these treasures, and he gave me many more.

So November 1st 2008 our house sat empty and unwanted. By December the for sale sign was up. I drove by the place a few times a week and noticed it quickly. It was April by the time we went to look at it.

The listing agent suggested we tear the old place down and build a nice new home, or several. :roll:

Next time, "moving in"

Neighmond

Re: The long road back

Post by Neighmond »

More! More, I say!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

how wonderful...like reading a little novelette first thing in the morning...thank goodness that house found you! i look forward to more of your sharings...
...jade

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

"The listing agent suggested we tear the old place down and build a nice new home, or several."

Sigh.....

2ndline
Settling in

Post by 2ndline »

"Moving in"

We went to look at the house in April and the agent couldn't have been less interested in the viewing if he had tried. We went back a few weeks later with our own agent ( who was a local farm girl) since the place was empty we ended up just hanging around for 3 hours marveling at this old house.

We hadn't really been to serious about buying the place since it was a bit out of our range. Over the next couple of months we would take friends by just to show them how cool the place was. This resulted in a lot of prodding for us to buy the place, and the price was dropping quickly. So we started unofficially prepping our own home for sale just in case we wanted to move forward. Eventually we put in a formal offer and started negotiating. once we arrived at a deal we had to sell our place and get ready to move which brought us to the 25th of September. I can remember walking into the house when it was finally ours, it was dusty, the creaking of the floors echoed through the empty house as we walked. Most of all the place felt faded and sad. I'm not much for ghosts or spirits, but funny enough the place felt like it was longing for a family's presence. A house is not a home without people in it, so "here we are"

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Its neat that you can give the entire history of the house like that. It's that easy for me too, but that's because it was a school house for 80 years of its life.
Your profile says you're from Milton. I'm half an hour down the highway. You can actually see my place from the 401
Warren

2ndline
Settling in

Post by 2ndline »

Ok, so I have to back track a bit, I found some more pics of the first time we went to look at the place!

The faux graining is original from 1856

This window upstairs in the hall really sealed the deal on us deciding to get the place.

2ndline
Settling in

Post by 2ndline »

As you can see, some things needed some work.

This was the floor in the hall downstairs. You had to wear shoes or get splinters in your feet!

This is in the old kitchen. I have been told it was last painted and wallpapered in 1941

2ndline
Settling in

Post by 2ndline »

Now for sure it's easy to get demoralized when working on your old home, I have been working on this place for 4 years and there are some rough patches. The thing is to do it right and take it slow. My first few projects I started off like a racehorse to get it done and then slowed to turtle speed by the time I was finished because I wanted it right and in most cases learned as I went. I had to undo a few things, but not many. If it needs it, take it out to the studs and start fresh. Most of the time i find the things that have the most visual impact are the things that cost less and are easier, The exception is stripping and sanding, there is nothing in this world or enough money in a swiss bank to make me enjoy that job.

2ndline
Settling in

The Pantry

Post by 2ndline »

Funny how the smallest jobs can go totally sideways. in Dec 2011 I decided to paint the pantry quick since we needed a place to keep stuff. And this room was brutal! Lead paint peeling everywhere and rags stuffed in cracks in the walls. This is one of the 2 smallest rooms in the house that were originally bedrooms downstairs in the older part of the house, but was turned into a pantry when the front was put on in 1856. The room is only 6'x10'

On one end of the room the mudsill on the foundation and the ends of the floor joists had rotted away, letting the floor slope 3" over 6'. So I decided to fix that before doing a quick scrape and paint. :roll:

So once I got that fixed, while working in there in December I could feel the cold wind coming in between the window casing and the plaster, which is right on the stone. Hmm, what to do? well maybe we could insulate. The heating bill for this place could support a small county so I will do anything to bring that down.Well that opens a whole can of worms since now the c1856 shelving would have to be removed. I am big on keeping original trim and flooring, plaster not as much. Most of it is falling off in that part of the house anyway since it is on the stone and it was unheated for many years. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I wanted to lose as little as possible insulating since the room was only 6' wide, so I used 2" Styrofoam board, helps keep the wind out as well, I made sure it was well sealed.

Well now I don't want to bury the window either, so now the casing and reveal and sill has to come out, (needed sealing anyway)

To be continued.....