Hi from Ontario

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Hi from Ontario

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hey all. Our current home is a stone house, simple Ontario Farm house, 1850's. Currently covered in Portland-hard stucco, but I'm picking away at it. The house was gutted to the stone walls inside when we bought it. It was plastered and painted directly on to the stone--no lath and plaster, no insulation space. No kitchen or bathroom. 35 fallow acres and a barn round it out. We're empty nesters; our son is finishing his biology masters in the city, so we can stand a little rough living since it is only us, and the cats and dog. Looking for stone pointing tips, and anything else pertinent. Hope to meet other folks of similar minds and insanity, lol. I'd attach a pic but they're only on my desktop, no ''url''s. I'll figure it out eventually... ;)
---Mal

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Hi from Ontario

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Below the "reply" form you've got the "Upload attachment" form. Just choose your pictures and click "add". I'd strongly recommend getting a free image editing software from the web (e.g. ACDSee) and downsize the pictures to 800x600 or 1024x768.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

livingroom before.jpg
livingroom before.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
sepia smaller.jpg
sepia smaller.jpg (91.16 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Here are a few pics of the stone house. The front is still fully stucco'd, I'm working on the back currently,
Attachments
Addition windows.jpg
Addition windows.jpg (171.65 KiB) Viewed 1960 times

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Where abouts in Ontario are you? I'm from the Kitchener area
Always nice to see more Canadians here! :)
Warren

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi there. We're near Brockville.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well hello Mal, we are in Chatham. Well just out side actually. There is almost enough Canucks here to form our own outlaw old home club. ;) the home really is basic. Looks solid though and should last another 160 years. And to think that home probably raised half a dozen children when new

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i've visited montreal and niagra falls a few times--does that count? ;)

welcome mal....boy, i give you a lot of credit for taking on this project...what a fantastic place...thanks for the photos...i look forward to seeing your progress over the years...you've come to the right place for info and support...

...jade

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Thanks all. Not my first go-round, but this is a challenge. I can't wait to re-point with a good lime mortar, after all the freaking portland stucco is off. At least we don't have a steep roof pitch and two storey walls this time. I love this little house though; when the wind howls, I hardly even know. The square footage is becoming a challenge...I have nowhere to put stuff; old, collected and otherwise. The barn is of later construction; cobbled together from earlier buildings as far as the nails attest. It's sound, but wants some paint, both roof and wall. Got me a metal detector via auction, and I'm looking forward to finding history in my garden. I just want to simplify my life now, without sacrificing our ideology. With son Tom fledged, we can sort of distill what we want now. Getting a bit tiring, living under restoration conditions. But worth it.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Beautiful Sunday afternoon, so I took some mason tools to the front of the house.
Beautiful Sunday afternoon.  I decided to take some mason tools to the front of the house
Beautiful Sunday afternoon. I decided to take some mason tools to the front of the house
stucco chipping smaller.jpg (122.21 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

lupinfarm2012 (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by lupinfarm2012 (WavyGlass) »

Hi Mal...welcome from another Ontarian. Your stone looks lovely. I look forward t seeing the finished job. Your a brave man taking on something that huge. Please post more pics. Oh and i live near Marmora, which is north of Belleville.