JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by JRC »

First, here is a picture of the inside of the porch header that I talked about in previous posts:

It doesn't seem like I made a lot of progress this weekend, because I spent some time outside fighting back the encroaching jungle growing in the neighbor's back yard. But I did begin hanging drywall. I want to have the electrician look over my electrical wiring job before I cover any of the new wiring. So hopefully, I can get him out this week, or next weekend.
Here is what I did get done:

And no, I never lived in Canada. :)

JRC

Post by JRC »

Over the last 2 weeks, Rob fixed the porch header and put the 3rd column in place:

The electrician came out last week, and hooked up my new wiring to the breaker box. He was not at all impressed with my wiring abilities, but conceded that it would work, and was safe. So, I finished hanging the drywall, and just started taping and mudding.

It's a little rough, but I managed to get all the holes cut for the electrical stuff in the bathroom.

And here is the back parlor:

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

Ahh, the inspiration continues. I keep looking for the "like" button!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

JRC

Post by JRC »

Wow, a lot has happened since I last posted pics!

- The porch roof is standing on its own, without any supports.
- The back parlor is almost ready for paint.
- The first round of mudding has been done in the upstairs bathroom.
- And, biggest of all, as of last weekend, I have moved in. My other house is still for sale, but I wanted to make the move before the weather got bad.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Let me start it off: Welcome to the neighborhood! Welcome home!
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks!

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

Wow, that's big news. After many years of work, it must have been very satisfying. Congrats and past, present and future work.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JRC, good to see some progress and the porch is looking much,much better. Moving in to the home is a real step, I'm sure the home progress with be ecselerated now that your there full time.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Gothichome wrote:JRC, good to see some progress and the porch is looking much,much better. Moving in to the home is a real step, I'm sure the home progress with be ecselerated now that your there full time.

I hope so. It's nice to have the freedom to do work whenever I feel like it, instead of just being limited to Friday evenings and Saturdays. But on the other hand, it was easy to stay focused on the work I was doing, because there wasn't anything else there to distract me. (like my TV and easy chair ;) ) For now, I'm still just settling in, getting used to living here, and recovering from last weekend's move.

JRC

Post by JRC »

I finally had the right combination of getting home early enough, and with good weather, so I took a couple pictures of the porch.

And, per recommendations I found at OHW, I cleaned the sink (before moving in) with Barkeepers Friend: