Basement windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
nan-nan
Settling in

Basement windows

Post by nan-nan »

So our basement windows were covered over on the outside with plywood and on the inside they were covered with pink fibreglass insulation. The basement of the Victorian rowhouse is "pretty terrifying" to quote my 6 yr old grand-daughter. I can't help but think that unveiling the windows would help make it a less scary place.

Questions: there is now a single pane window just sitting in the frame. How do I want to attach it? Do I want it to be openable? If so, which way - hopper style? Do I want a screen? Or just a storm? How do I make it secure? I don't want anyone breaking in through the basement. We are in a bit of a sketchy neighbourhood and this window doesn't need a well. Or should I go to HD and get a vinyl window? We are in Canada so we get lots of snow in the winter.

The second window is below grade and in a window well. It too has been covered over. I'm trying to decide if I should just block up the opening and fill in the well.

Any thoughts?

Neighmond

Re: Basement windows

Post by Neighmond »

Look at Mattswabb's never ending window post-He did several above-grade basement windows, and even made his own security bars for them.

Welcome in!

Chaz

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yes, take a look at mattswebb...DO NOT GO TO HD FOR A VINYL WINDOW...

hopper window opens in, you could install a screen on the exterior...easy to make from 1x3 and heavy gauge square wire mesh, would offer a bit more security than regular window screen...

awning window opens out, install an interior screen which would need to be removed to close the window...I leave my basement windows open through the summer...

hope that helps.....
....jade

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Is there any evidence of how the windows originally operated? In my experience, in NE Ohio, basement windows were hinged at the top, and there was a hook and eye on the nearest joist to hold the window open.

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

I have ventilated glass block windows in my basement, and I like them because no one can see in the windows but they still give light and as glass blocks they have some insulation value. you can also get them with a dryer vent insert. My windows on one side of the house are only about 4 feet from the sidewalk so privacy is important there.
I know you were not asking about block windows but worth a thought at least.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Here's mine
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=399&start=50
And here's my security bars I made
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=938

Mine hinge inward at the top. 2 have stroms and I'll do the other 6 this fall.

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

lol Jade. Thanks for the reminder...

Matt, you are truly inspirational.

Could someone post a picture of a hopper window with the hook/eye set up? I think that was the original set up.

I'll try and get photos tomorrow.

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

I uncovered the second window that had been covered over with insulation. Why were there so many snails and rodent droppings in the insulation? Once uncovered, the reason was clear. The sill had disappeared into compost. I removed one bucket of compost that used to be wood. The window had dropped down as a result leaving a large gap at the top open to the outside. Wildlife had moved in. The window has rotted at the bottom as well as the bottom of the side frame. I am not sure if it is salvageable. I would have to sister a new piece of wood to the one side. I can then fill in the rest with putty. The wood that isn't rotten is as hard as cement. It would be a shame to have to dig it all out, but we are running out of time on these repairs. I have major surgery in one week. After that, I won't be doing any work for a few months.

Also, the window well is made from concrete - sides and bottom - but it has tilted away from the window. Someone had put plywood on top of the window well.possibly to keep out snow. It too was compost and I removed 2 buckets of compost from inside the window well. I am wondering about drainage. If snow and rain get inside the well, will it just fill up and be held against the window? Should we drill holes in the cement so moisture can drain away? Should we get a plastic window well cover for the top?

Ugh. These basement windows require a lot of work. I am almost tempted to cover them up again with insulation and pretend I never looked in the first place, lol.