Century House Inspections

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
TexasRed
Been here a good while

Century House Inspections

Post by TexasRed »

If I am to proceed with purchasing the great old pink house built in 1906, I am going to need an inspection. Need to be realistic about what I am getting into. :shock: We will need to make a trip to Texas soon if we are going to do this. I'd like to get as many things scheduled in advance, as we won't be able to stay more than a week.

I am not sure I will find an home inspection company in this area that specializes in century homes. (Will start making calls tomorrow). In the event I can't, what advice do you all offer? There must be specific things about old houses that need to be considered. Even things that I need to look out for that wouldn't be included in an inspection.

I appreciate any suggestions & advice for this stage of the process. TIA :)
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

bankeny
Knows the back streets

Re: Century House Inspections

Post by bankeny »

If they recommend replacing those old worn out windows with high efficient vinyl inserts and saving time and money by installing vinyl siding so you never have to paint again.... RUN!!!!!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Texans red, I bumped a previous discussion on inspections

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Try the local - or nearest - preservation society. They will know.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Many thanks Gothichome for bumping up that discussion. Sorry I didn't see it back in August. I believe it answers my questions and tells me the important things to consider. These would be repairs for a pro:

Foundation
Termite Damage
Roof
Heating system & A/C
Electrical service
Sewer & Plumbing

Everything else is somewhat cosmetic to me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

bankeny - I won't even look at a house if it doesn't have original windows. Fortunately it does (first thing I checked ;)) and the cypress clapboard siding is intact - needs a few repairs and paint.

Appreciate all the suggestions & help. :)

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

kelletim, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into whether they have a preservation society (really small town). I do remember reading about the local historical society when I last visited. They should be able to help me out.

If I don't have any luck, I could try the fabulous century old library which is just 1 block fom this great house. It is a Carnegie Library built in 1911. Walking into it is like a 100 year time warp. ...Talk about original! It is so awesome.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

I can not stress enough having someone inspect the sewage and water lines. A lot of lines need to be replaced in older homes and this could be a major expense.

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

I'll add that in older homes asbestos and lead could be concerns. Lead paint can be painted over, but asbestos is a bear to get rid of and can cost a fortune.

Also, have someone check for mold. When we had our current house inspected, the inspector found mold in the attic space but was unqualified to give a true opinion on it, so we had to get a second inspector. If we had chosen someone qualified in more areas in the first place it would have been much better.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Sara -

Thanks for stressing the importance of the sewer lines. You are right, that could be a BIG expense. I hope the line has been replaced already as the home was occupied up until the recent passing of the owner. Fingers crossed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

bungalove - Oh wow, I hadn't thought about asbestos :shock: .

Lead paint did cross my mind since the exterior needs a good scraping/sanding & paint. I can't remember if any of the interior besides ceilings is painted - wallpaper everywhere! lol Very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Two things that came to my mind when reading this thread--are there any ceiling tiles? They could also be asbestos. I have them on my second-floor ceilings... :cry: This means restoring the original beadboard ceiling underneath is most likely not going to happen for me, due to the cost I assume it could entail.

Also, make sure all the electrical outlets work. I still have some that were overlooked by the inspector that give me a fit!