Need advice on cleaning dark trim

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: Need advice on cleaning dark trim

Post by Mick_VT »

Yankeegirl wrote:Ok - so synthetic so you don't get any fibers left behind. Makes sense :). Thank you for explaining - I want to make sure we don't do the wrong thing. I can see this is going to be addictive lol. My husband & I were working in the yard then came inside & started removing old shellac. Had to force ourselves to stop lol.

As Casey just pointed out on another thread, the green pan scourers might be a tad course, better to go with the synthetic steel wool in one of the finer grades.
Mick...

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

Yankeegirl wrote:Mick - when you say scotchbrite do you mean a scrubby sponge? Can you post a pic for me? Sorry to sound silly but I'm not sure & want to buy the right thing. I'm going to do some research on the flake - I'm a long way from using it - there is ALOT of trim to clean up. Now I know what my winter project is going to be :) - good thing winters last 6 months here lolol.

Since you should have good ventilation when using denatured alcohol, perhaps you should reconsider the timing of this project. I know old houses are often drafty in winter, but spring or fall might be better when you can open windows for that needed good ventilation. I usually have a fan exhausting air out of the room and pulling fresh air in from another direction if I can't take it outside. I assume you will not be removing the trim to clean it. My house has only painted wood, but I do have some furniture with shellac.

Yankeegirl
Settling in

Post by Yankeegirl »

LB - yes I will make sure I have the proper ventilation. I'm always super careful :). I will post a pic later of the difference in color on the trim I have been working on. I cant believe how drastic it is. And am wondering why it is worse on one side of the house than the other? DR area is perfect - main hall, LR & upstairs hall are all really dark. Just one of those old house mysteries I guess.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yankeegirl wrote:LB - yes I will make sure I have the proper ventilation. I'm always super careful :). I will post a pic later of the difference in color on the trim I have been working on. I cant believe how drastic it is. And am wondering why it is worse on one side of the house than the other? DR area is perfect - main hall, LR & upstairs hall are all really dark. Just one of those old house mysteries I guess.

Maybe it has something to do with air circulation, humidity (water affects shellac) & home heating (how dirty is the air from wood or coal smoke?)! I know in my house with the doors open during the summer & running the attic fan at night, warm humid air is pulled in the doors & up the front stairway.

Yankeegirl
Settling in

Post by Yankeegirl »

Don - humidity for sure! This house was so damp & musty it was horrible. Back in the 1940's they started using the house as a seasonal summer home - so we were the first people to winter here in 70 years lolol. Also no one had stayed here in 10 years when we moved in so there had been no heat or fresh air in here during that time. In the LR area they had carpet (tapestry) tacked down to the floor - underneath they had put down newspaper which really helped hold the moisture.
IMG_1820 (400x600).jpg
IMG_1820 (400x600).jpg (198.02 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_1817 (600x400).jpg
IMG_1817 (600x400).jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 511 times
94 years is a LONG TIME lolol. I'm sure you can imagine what this smelled like :shock: !!