Best wood for outdoor mouldings?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
kelt65
Stalwart

Re: Best wood for outdoor mouldings?

Post by kelt65 »

I've heard many times cypress is the best, rot resistant and good work-ability. All the old siding and exterior trim, framing studs and sills down here were bald cypress. Of course that's regional to the south, but I believe fir is the northern equivalent ... sort of. Cheap pressure treated pine doesn't last THAT long outside in the elements ... I think my deck is less than 20 years old and it is rotting away (yellow pine, not sure what kind). The 100-200 year old cypress corbels, columns, dentils, trim, etc. around town are still in great shape.

http://www.wood-database.com/
Last edited by kelt65 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

I'll probably get things thrown at me for this, but why not urethane? It will never rot nor will paint peel off of it. These elements aren't structural, and no one could tell the difference. I'd strongly consider that myself were the moldings high enough and out of reach.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

I can understand why they wouldn't recommend cedar. It kinda has a "fuzzy" look after it is cut or shaped. Fibres in the wood I guess.
I knew there was a southern U.S. equivalent and I'm now guessing it is cypress, as others have suggested.
If you want to ensure longevity, go with a hardwood like mahogany. It will cost more, but there will be no issues, and it mills nicely. I guess that decision depends on budget, and how much you need milled.

...but, any wood that is primed and painted on all sides, and properly maintained through the years, should last well after you are gone.
Warren

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm thinking the lumber yard probably thought Vala was talking about Western Red Cedar, like the stuff you use for clapboards etc. That's also what I was thinking at the beginning of the thread, but while restoring a shutter yesterday it occurred to me that the "cedar" that would be best to use would be Spanish Cedar. It is actually a relative of mahogany and also very weather resistant, but more easily workable and less brittle. Its the wood of choice for louvered shutters for this reason (hence my remembering it at that point :D ).
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

my vote is for Spanish cedar or mahogany (swetenia)...all exterior components should be back primed and cuts primed....paint is the great maintainer.....I think vala will use oil paint so, in the future, it can be painted with latex if someone so chooses...

old growth or quarter sawn tight grain pine will work well but you'd have to do some research on where to find it..

good luck!
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Yea I'll be using oil paint. I'm excited to be getting the missing mouldings back up.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

as with any wood It is as much to do with the piece you get than the species. If it is a small molding I'd look for fine grained fir , if it is a big molding I'd use cedar. There are many other species such and ironwood which is a pretty general term that might be even better. I wouldn't use oak, or pine or other softwoods or maple, unless it was a big difference in cost.

Mike
Settling in

Post by Mike »

My carpentry used cedar for all our mouldings and didn't seem to have a problem shaping it to our profiles.

Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Is that Spanish or Western Red Cedar Mike?
Mick...

Mike
Settling in

Post by Mike »

Pretty sure it's not spanish
Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/