making flooring into wainscott

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: making flooring into wainscott

Post by phil »

yes maybe draw knife is correct. I cut down a cherry tree and have been thinking I should debark the trunk. I may use it.. not a very commonly needed tool here in the city.

pegs and boxes work ok I lke putitng lots of tools on a pegboard but I share a bunch of things on one peg and then drawers and toolboxes. you just need ot be able to get to the common stuff you use all the time so one way of sorting it out is putting them somewhere and then you can watch as they migrate to your work area. I'm always making up toolboxes for certain jobs then I return them all eventually to the motherload and the cycle repeats itself.

I dont know when I last used a coping saw, not very often.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, I may have mentioned in the past, I have several buckets, each filled with tools for a specific type of job, one for plumbing, another for electrics ect. The only issue I have with this method, over time the tools get scattered about for various other projects, minor ones mostly. When I go to do a specific job like electrics I end up scouring the house for the tools I should have in the electrical bucket but aren’t there any more. The intent was good, in application though it’s a down right failure for efficiency.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I like using the plastic milk jugs for little one off jobs. I just cut them so the handle is still on and its surprising how many tools they carry. often if I am on a trip somewhere Ill put together a little toolkit with some essentials so then I get one in each car and they get all scattered. that's when I forget and end up with rusty pliers and stuff. I started one room for hardware, brushes paint etc and try to keep that separate from my tools but then I collect all these tools that I never really use like circular saws that just need new bearings, stuff like that. I must ave 8 routers and as many junky saws, 10 old handsaws.. a whole pile of accessories. some migrates up to the shared family property at the lake, maybe I need to take more up there ;-) as i fix machines for a living I'm pretty good at not leaving things onsite ( they vanish if I do ) but my toolbox is usually a scattered jumble and Ill often bring tools to work I need or the reverse. I do tend to remember where I put things but I think I'm just always fixated on the job at hand and not my work environment. now and then Ill stop and spend a weekend getting a handle on things. at work it's the same but different , they are so wasteful. I dug about 30 chisels out of the dumpster and gave about 5 to everyone I thought should use a few and they were all appreciated. they discard them just because the handles are too short ;-) the beautiful used machines that go to scrap I dont even want to think about but I stay out of those decisions as best I can.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:46 pm{snip}pegs and boxes work ok I lke putitng lots of tools on a pegboard but I share a bunch of things on one peg and then drawers and toolboxes. you just need ot be able to get to the common stuff you use all the time so one way of sorting it out is putting them somewhere and then you can watch as they migrate to your work area. I'm always making up toolboxes for certain jobs then I return them all eventually to the motherload and the cycle repeats itself.

I dont know when I last used a coping saw, not very often.
Yeah, for decades, I/we was/were moving so much that the toolbox/crate/container method was the best I could come up with, especially since sometimes it was a small studio and anything that didn't fit was in storage elsewhere else.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.