Medicine cabinet brackets

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
cat2014
Knows the area

Medicine cabinet brackets

Post by cat2014 »

I haven’t been on here in a while and I know you all are very helpful so here goes......I have an old medicine cabinet but no metal shelf brackets to support the glass shelves. Any ideas on where to get them? I’ve googled it and it seems a lot of people are in search of these. Hope someone here can help!!!!!! Please!!!!! Thank you.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Gothichome

Re: Medicine cabinet brackets

Post by Gothichome »

Cat, other than locating shelf hooks what have you been up to with your old home? I would suggest regular visits to your local Habitat, ours often have several cabinets from renovation jobs.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Gothichhome-funny you should say that. We were there yesterday morning. Unfortunately we never looked inside the cabinet until AFTER the fact. Lol. We’ll be back there.
Our house is only 45 years old but it has its challenges like an old home. We treat it as if it’s older than it is.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Lee Valley has online catalogs. I was just looking through their hardware catalog and on page 322(I think ? not 100% sure), near the very end, was a variety of parts for holding up shelves. They even have these odd little paddle shaped ones, like my early 20th c. medicine cabinet has.

Have a look there ?

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Thanks Willa. I will definitely show the other half. Cool catalogs. Will book mark their site - thanks again!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Id just try home depot first , they have a lot of bracketry and hardware for mounting.
in particular I like these little flush mount hanger brackets and if you look you might find some slightly different styles and shapes but they are really simple and cheap, You use them in pairs one or more on the back of the cabinet and then some on the wall to hook into then when the cabinet is hung they are invisible but it is easy to lift it off if you lift up.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.flus ... 27424.html

you could also of course just screw through the back of the cabinet into a stud or you can google "french cleat", that might work too.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I read the OP again and then realised I misread the post. what I suggested wont; help to support shelves it might help to support the cabinet itself. for the shelves I'd think about cutting a piece f wood to sit vertically against the edges of the cabinet, either cut slots or leave spaces between. Of course you could just use little L brackets for the shelves to sit on instead if you wanted.