Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
KenN
Knows the back streets

Re: Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Post by KenN »

Looks like next Tuesday will be 54 during the day here and then 22 overnight. Wednesday night looks cold too.

I finished the interior storm today and put it in the window that I sit by in the mornings. I’ll see how it feels tomorrow morning, but the test will be those cold nights next week.

I only put the shrink film on one side of the frame. I followed the links from Gibson above, and I noticed it is preferred to put shrink wrap on both sides of the frame, creating a nice dead air space in the middle. I’m sure this is a better method, but just one side will have to do for now. It has a good seal and I don’t feel any air moving.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Glad you got them going, Ken! I didn't use 2 layers of film either; doesn't seem to be necessary. My house is tight & draft-free! 50mph wind here regularly in winter, and no problems. Make sure to use the drywall screws or they will POP OUT in a good wind.

I found that if you use 5/8" backer rod, and make the frames 1/4" smaller than the opening on sides and top/bottom (resulting in 1/8" smaller on each side, not a full 1/4"!), it seems to work well. TOO tight and you mash the rod, can rip it up. Too loose, and of course it bleeds air. If the wood is a little warpy and you have a tiny space on 1 side, you can cut a left/right piece to bend it out, pushing it in tight to undo the warp, even with the meeting rails so it's not seen. If you have a BIG gap and no time, you can roll up saran wrap and slide that in there w/a putty knife to get you by til you can make a new frame or what have you.

Sounds like it's working for you tho, good deal!

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

I just used 1/4” foam window seal strip instead of the backer rod. I left about a 1/4” space all around, maybe a little less. It ended up a very tight fit, had to push it in a bit hard. When I take it out I’ll see how the foam survived.

This morning was a warm morning, it is already 60 degrees here at 10am. Tomorrow the forecast is gale winds, rain, and temps dropping to 20 degrees overnight into Wednesday morning. That will be a good test for it.

In the mean time, while I was out getting a bagel this morning about 30 minutes ago, when I came back I could see one of the cats put a big tear in the film! I’m going to have to cat proof this somehow.

I will just try and repair the tear with clear tape for today. I am thinking about putting screen material on one side of the frame, and keep that side facing in. The film side can face out.

I haven’t seen anyone talk about how to cat proof these. I also ordered some double thick film, 1.5mil instead of 0.75. I don’t think that will stop my cats but it can’t hurt, reviews say it is warmer.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

KenN wrote:In the mean time, while I was out getting a bagel this morning about 30 minutes ago, when I came back I could see one of the cats put a big tear in the film! I’m going to have to cat proof this somehow.

I will just try and repair the tear with clear tape for today. I am thinking about putting screen material on one side of the frame, and keep that side facing in. The film side can face out.

I haven’t seen anyone talk about how to cat proof these. I also ordered some double thick film, 1.5mil instead of 0.75. I don’t think that will stop my cats but it can’t hurt, reviews say it is warmer.

My hardware store sells heavy clear plastic by the foot. I think it is 46 or 54" wide ? I think it is mostly used for things like furniture slipcovers or windows in tent type campers. I wondered about using this for interior storm windows ? The drawback would be that it probably couldn't get shrunk with a blowdryer to create a perfectly smooth surface - like the thinner film. However it would be a much more durable solution ?

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Well worth a try, Willa! Yeah, my cat took a swipe at one of mine, had to put packing tape on it til I could replace it. Maybe you could scare them off somehow? It doesn't mess with them anymore, all I did was "hiss" a lot at it.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

GibsonGM wrote:Well worth a try, Willa! Yeah, my cat took a swipe at one of mine, had to put packing tape on it til I could replace it. Maybe you could scare them off somehow? It doesn't mess with them anymore, all I did was "hiss" a lot at it.

I really need to make some interior storms since I took the crummy triple track vintage storm windows off the front of the house. The house looks better but certainly feels more breezy by the windows. I have wondered about that thick plastic as a solution for awhile now. I'll post my results when I get them done. The thin shrink film seems like a solution that would need to get replaced every couple of years as that plastic is pretty fragile.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

The regular 3M window kit stuff has been great here, on their 5th winter now, only the 1 taken out by the cat a couple of years ago.

I should be fair...coyotes or a fox got that cat (sniff sniff), and the other one I have isn't interested, so that might have continued. Maybe after Ken's cat gets used to them being there it'll stop messing with it? Spray bottle of water, lol.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

We still have some of the 3M shrink film on four windows with unrestored storms. It’s been up for a few years now. One issue we found with leaving the stuff up for several years is the adhesive tape drys out and is hell to remove. I think the film that carries the adhesive degrades and all that’s left is the adhesive very well stuck to the frame.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Well it was about 20 this morning, feels like 10 with the NW 20 mph wind. So much better with the interior storm in. It really helps, no draft from the window.

I also added stop bead adjusters to the last 3 sashes we put in this year. With these I’m not afraid to have the stops tight for the winter, this helps a bit also.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered, but I can't find it. The outside track (jamb) that the upper sash moves in when you drop it - painted or blopentine?