wood rot under ext door threshold

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: wood rot under ext door threshold

Post by phil »

I really want to loose the pink paint from my door and reveal the wood so hopefully I can do that in time. I had the lock apart so I stripped a little around there just to tease myself ;-) maybe when I scrape the door I coudl cut a slot for some weatherstrip and of course get rid of my white plastic "ugly strip" I thought maybe some sort of scratch pad outside might work, she just needs a "kitty doorbell" it was chewed up before she came along so I can't blame her. hey maybe I can invent a kitty doorbell ?

I used a product on my front steps which also see full rain called Bohme.. it seems ok so I think Ill sand the threshold down and try that. I also thought I'd refill and gaps and give the front steps another coat when it's dry and summer. since it's opening up a bit as expected.
Im not sure what wood filler to use outside but someone here was suggesting sarco?

what is everyone else using for outdoor filler? can I tint the Sarco and is this the best thing to use on outdoor wood ?
something that doesn't harden like epoxy sounds like it might be the ticket. I have (ahem) 10 gallons of two part epoxy stuff that is a sort of flexible epoxy used for concrete floor gaps and maybe that would work as it is flexible but I know paint won't always want to adhere to epoxy, maybe it's OK if I sand it first to get some grip. seems like those cracks need to open and close somewhat so epoxy would crack I think unless I encased it in epoxy.
but I dont think epoxy has any sun blockers so maybe it isn't the best.. I guess I could gelcoat over epoxy, like the deck is, only that's fiberglass. I liked seeing the wood but it's a loosing battle outdoors I think.

other fillers I have tried outside turned out to be a mistake but luckily I haven't done a lot ;-) you can see the green on my shingles, the north side is loosing paint. ( or opaque stain? ) I can't really scrape the shingles so easily but obviously I have to if it's flaking. we get a lot of rain so when stuff is outside it really gets a 6 month soaking. a little cover over the door would be nice. obviously a clear finish wasn't a good choice, it needs to be paint or something that can take the water. I figured the helmsman stuff was ok since it was a "spar varnish" and they used spar varnish on old boats but this stuff is just junk.. some coats of oil might have helped, maybe but I dont think it should be even recommended for outdoor use. its fine for inside trim.
bondo for wood? sounds interesting !

I think Lily is pretty adept at fitting stuff and I think maybe she might need someone with a tablesaw to cut the threshold then she could install it? or there are aluminum thresholds and things that would work.. but I felt this is kind of "correct" for the age of our houses although it looked so nice when the finish was new. If her flooring or subfloor has some rot , then the threshold could be the lid to the can of worms but I doubt anyone will fall through.

for bugs, I did hear someone say antifreeze will keep them out but I guess you dont' want to play with antifreeze with pets around. Im not sure if it is the glyceryne glycol or what the bugs dont' like but I have heard it is a trick, but likely not environmentally conscious I probably shouldn't even mention it. I'd hate to kill someones pet by saying that and it's probably a pretty real risk if you do. but I heard it will soak into wood and bugs then dont' like it and that's all I know. Ive never experimented with that. getting it dry is the secret really, not chemicals.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Yeah, thresholds can be a pain. I'd plan on removing the exterior casing, then you can slide a new one in (with some persuasion! lol).

Bug prevention: of course, make everything VERY dry! Bugs hate dry! 2) boil up some water, maybe 1gal. When rolling, add a bunch of Borax laundry powder. Like, 2 cups or more. Stir it in; dissolve it well for like 15 minutes. When cool, pour into spray bottle. Spray on wood where it won't wash off...like under your threshold etc. This keeps away all manner of bugs, AND prevents mold growth! Bugs hate the Boron in it. Non harmful. Spray around sills etc., outdoors, too. I wouldn't use antifreeze anywhere either, no sir...

Wood bondo: Minwax wood filler...2 part, you have to mix the hardener in like Bondo. Very good product. Don't know about Sarco fillers. Don't use car bondo, it doesn't expand & contract like the minwax will.

For little gaps, like where the jambs meet the threshold, I use clear (paintable) Lexel 'caulking'. It's actually a synthetic rubber, so it stretches much more than caulk ("modulus=0"; pressure needed to deform it). It can be messy like polyurethane caulk, but cleans up with acetone and REALLY keeps water out. Does not tear like caulk; it is magic for some of our most sensitive areas.

The Helmsman stinks, as you found out :( I hate that stuff. Looks mint for 2 yrs., then peels off. I've found no real solution for wanting stain/urethane outdoors. Used to be Sikkens products that were ok, Cetol and SRD, in OIL (now it's water based and stinks) that worked...no more. I just stain them solid color now. Ends that mainenance issue. The only way to get it back I've found is to sand them back to blonde wood, stain/urethane all over again. Doesn't last. If you really need wood grain, oil them. Many many times, LOL. 2x per year after the initial, and then pray.

Look forward to seeing what you find when you dig in, Lily! I bet it's not that bad :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thank you Gibson, that was some great info on the products you like. It's easy to over look these small cracks and a little calking can save a lot later... minwax "wood bondo", borax, and "Lexel calking".. and maybe Lily can be on the lookout for a nice plank. If she is to do the threshold that way it's worth starting with a decent piece of wood , maybe even something from the "ironwood" family wouldn't be overkill since it'll last and take the water and foot traffic so well. otherwise there are probably lots of other ways to keep the water out as it is a bit of tearing apart. I wouldn't' make it number one on the list. A little temporary awning made of whatever is around might be a quick and easy solution.

I used the Sikens cetol part A ( without the second part) on my cedar handrail and it seems good but it's a pretty dark brown. I'll try to get a pic of my front steps so others can see how the "bohme" stuff is lasting. Not perfect but at least it isn't peeling and you can see the grain even though it's kind of orange. My house is orange so I liked the color. I tried the sikkens Rubol. it's kind of a rubbery paint and it was ok on vertical surfaces but way too slippery when it gets icy and after i put ten gallons down at 100 bucks a gallon I think I read the fine print later that said it wasn't recommended for horizontal surfaces..oops ;-) Most was on the back porch and front steps and both peeled but the wood wasn't great so both are gone now anyway.

I thought of just fiberglassing the threshold but that's not so authentic looking but it would work.

I ran into one guy that was fixing his steps and he stapled chicken wire all over them and then fiberglassed over that to hold them together. I thought that was a novel solution ;-)
Phil

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

YW, Phil, I am always trying new products - there are a lot of things out there! That Lexel is the best I've found for troublesome caulking spots - the ones that tear open, you know? Wood moves.....that stuff will seal ANYTHING. But can be messy, cleans w/acetone. It's worth it tho.

Yes, the Sikkens "stain coat" was ok. They don't make it anymore. The 'Part B' urethane coat darkens in sunlight, and must be physically stripped off for a new coat!! People don't like that, ha ha $$$$$. Rubbol has been ok on hard to paint surfaces, like old log cabins....but as you noted, too rubbery, not fun to work with.

Most of what I use now would be solid color acrylic stains...SW Woodscapes or Ben Moore Arborcoat. Does most anything, and isn't a maintenance problem later.

Chicken wire? Good fix, LOL!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Have not yet found any wood on the property that could do, payday Friday--not sure how big the check will be yet, so not sure if the full repair will have to wait a bit more.

Good news is despite the additional foot of snow we just got (yes, again), with the lovely 50°F yesterday, and all the melting, my temp fix seems to be at least holding back the water from coming in for now. So woo hoo for that.

I've been trying to dig out some tools I'll likely use, and cursing over the fact that there's not really a work bench here in the cellar yet. Boy do I miss my old plastic tool closets I used to have. *sighs* Somehow I now have at least four old hand saws. Some tools are like guppies, I think.

Still checking too on the local supplies with your recommendations. Waiting on a phone call back, but trying to see if we have a "just finishes" shop too somewhere. Quite a few specialty shops you just have to know someone who knows someone around here to be able to physically find them.

More when I have some actual progress beyond what prep I'm doing for the interim...
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.