floor question

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
cat2014
Knows the area

floor question

Post by cat2014 »

Is there any product out there that will keep from my dog scratching/gouging the wood floors? My coon hound :crazy: has scratched them up considerably and noticeably.
Suggestions on how to cover up the scratches without having to sand the whole floor. The floors are early 1970's maple hardwood.
Was looking at Bona products, but would like some input from the wise and experienced in this area. 8-)
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: floor question

Post by GibsonGM »

Try plexiglass. You put a layer across the entire floor, then it will remain scratch-free.

Just kidding! I don't know of anything offhand, going to watch to see what you get for responses! My dog does it too :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You know Cat, I would look into a stain and use a small brush to try to hide the scratches. Maybe follow with some clear shellac to bring the shine back to the repair.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

How big is your dog ? There is a product called Soft Paws or Soft Claws which are soft, blunt vinyl caps that are glued onto the claws. If they get chewed off, they are small and blunt and will pass through without incident. They have them for cats and dogs. They come in colors and are inexpensive and easy to use:

https://www.softpaws.com/soft-paws-dogs/

sunlightbungalow
Just Arrived

Post by sunlightbungalow »

I can't offer advice on the floors, but as to dog's nails - if you're having trouble with scratched floors, your dog's nails are probably growing too long. Ideally, they shouldn't make any noise when they walk on a hard floor. If they do, it can have a negative impact on your dog's balance, gait, and joint health -- as well as your floor's condition.

If your dog resists trimming or you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, you might want to take the dog to a groomer frequently (every 2 weeks or so) for a few months to get the nails dremeled. The Dremel can get a lot closer to the quick safely, which makes the quick recede so the nails can be kept shorter. The article below has some good advice and diagrams of the internal anatomy of the nail, if it's helpful.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/tr ... -toenails/

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

cat's need their claws to get away from danger and it's their defense system so I wouldn't cut a cat's claws. They are just designed better than dogs ;-)

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Snout.jpg
Snout.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 451 times

We must see the Coon hound!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if you gave him fuzzy paw gloves and put a harness on him and put strategically placed treats on the floor he'd help polish all day and still look cute ;-)

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Thanks all for your suggestions...although I do like the fuzzy paw gloves the best :lolno: The plexiglass one is good, too!

As far as cutting his nails, I have tried - even the vet has; he actually has to be sedated to have them done and I'm not doing that. So I try to do one nail at a time, when he lets me.

For now, I guess, we will just deal with it until we paint the living room (that's the worst of it) and then get a area rug for him. Eventually spouse will re-do floors, but it's a shame he's not happy with wood floors. He's good on all others, just not the wood which is really playing havoc on them.

I will post a pic of the goofy coon hound...Wherli Wigglesworth - the dancing redbone coon hound. :crazy: :crazy:
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon