Antique Light Fixture Questions

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Antique Light Fixture Questions

Post by JacquieJet »

Willa wrote:Lights need to be safe so rewiring will happen before any installation. I am still thinking about the best places they could be installed. After I get the nightmare bathroom calcimine paint situation and plaster repairs done, then the kitchen and powder room are next. There is a LOT to contend with in both those rooms. I am thinking the powder room and entry way might be good places for these fixtures, but replacing any lighting is a ways off in the future.

In the interim I picked up three 1940's triple chain fixtures for the bedrooms, for $ 5.00 a piece ! They will replace those terrible "boob lights" from the big box store. One of the boob lights has some new fangled LED bulb thing with prongs. The quality of the light is so muddy and low. Even a 40W bulb from the dollar store shining through a deep pink shade will be a great improvement.

$_27-1.JPG

page33_virden41.JPG

Funny enough, I have the exact same pink shade sitting on my loft floor right now with a bunch of other lights. I bought it as part of a lot of antique lighting that came out of a 1906 house that was being gutted... When I saw your pic, I was like HEY! That looks familiar! lol. Nice :)
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

Here is a picture showing the base unit for this style of light. The “ears” twist under the “spring connectors”. The main drawback is the recessed brass screws on the outside of the top piece are live.

This light was in the pantry in my old New York State house. It has been rewired and installed onto a ceiling pan for a half way legal installation.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

All the info plus pics has been very helpful.

Jamie - the live brass screws - yikes !!!!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Sounds like those screw holes should have been filled with some kind of isolating putty! I think I'd have used a flat piece of sheet metal to mount that old base to a modern ceiling box, painted the same colour as the ceiling.

House_BuhBooLis
Settling in

Post by House_BuhBooLis »

Willa wrote:I spent some time looking at the antique lighting catalogs via the link in the reference section. I was surprised that gas lights were still available c. 1910, and also that what I had thought about dates for certain styles were off by about ten years. An excellent resource !

Gas lights are so neat! I was recently in New Orleans where the antiques ones still abound and there is at least one company (and I believe a few) that still makes new ones! I was tempted.

http://www.bevolo.com/

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I converted a pair of gas arms into touch lights in my bathroom one either side of the mirror. You can mess with people by turning on the gas taps and pretending that's what turns the light on
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Mick_VT wrote:I converted a pair of gas arms into touch lights in my bathroom one either side of the mirror. You can mess with people by turning on the gas taps and pretending that's what turns the light on

:lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

A house illuminated by gas lights is truly special: tour of a gas lit home

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Mick_VT wrote:I converted a pair of gas arms into touch lights in my bathroom one either side of the mirror. You can mess with people by turning on the gas taps and pretending that's what turns the light on

at our summer place the house is in view of the cabin which is by the lake and very peaceful and romantic...so if any couples come they usually get dibs on the cabin. there is one of those old "clap lamps" in there and of course what never fails to happen is people forget , then after bedtime the lucky couple in the cabin have a way of making it turn on and off in rapid succession. Usually followed by much laughter and lights out ;-)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Jamie wrote:A house illuminated by gas lights is truly special: tour of a gas lit home

That was really neat. Thanks for sharing that.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.